(26)

The weather was cooler when I woke up in the morning. Waking up might not have been the right term. Getting out of bed was more accurate.

I hadn't slept much.

How could I? After what I'd done, it made me fucking ill. As in, I was over the toilet, losing litres of beer and stale chips until six in the morning.

After a long shower, I pulled on a pair of sweats and a long white sleeve shirt.

I had no intentions of leaving the house, so comfort was important even though it didn't stop me from feeling like slime. When I checked my phone for the time, finding it was nine, I saw Amalia had sent me a couple of text messages.

Made it ! The car doesn't have a single scratch. Phew. Lol. Bernie is pretty sick though. She's not having a good time.

Morning x still nursing Berns. She's throwing up bile now. Ick. I'll call later? Come get your car if you need it ! Otherwise I'll pick you up tomorrow morning for the surprise? x

My cellphone hit the side table with a thud when I dropped it without sending a response.

It was too hard. Whatever I said would feel fake and gross. She deserved so much better and as hard as it was going to be, I planned on being honest.

She needed to know. She made me promise that if I couldn't remain exclusive, I would tell her first. I'd ruined that part. But I could still do the right thing and come clean.

I wandered out of my bedroom. Dad appeared from the staircase, holding on to the banister as he swung around and started towards me.

He was dressed in his track pants and a t shirt but his coach cap was on backwards and a whistle hung from his neck.

"You're up," he gave me a slap on the shoulder when we were standing in front of each other. "You look like shit."

"Cheers Dad," I didn't bother biting back. I wasn't in the mood for a verbal spar. "You off for a game?"

"Later," he said. "Home game tonight so I don't have to travel out of town. Spencer and Nathan are out doing touristy shit at the moment. They'll be here tonight though. You don't look so good. You alright?"

"No," I mumbled and felt sort of bad that I forgot my Aunt and Uncle were in town. "I got ripped last night. I'm hungover."

"Dumbass. You didn't learn from the other night?"

"Guess not."

"Where's your sister?"

"She slept at Ingrid's," I said. "Oh and I might have said something about her door and you telling me not to fix it."

Dad sighed. "You're such a fucking rookie," he said, going back to the staircase. "Lunch at eleven. We're talking to Max. Tell Abby to get her ass home. Minus Flynn. He's here so damn often he might as well start paying rent."

"Sure."

As I passed Abby's bedroom, I peeped inside and noticed Mills curled up in her bed. A curtain of red hair covered her face and the blankets were a balled mess on top of her.