(82)

Have fun in Texas. Let me know when you're back so we can catch up.

Harley's text came through as I was walking through the gate and onto the field to find dad. The game had just started and it was the first time I'd gone through my texts since I'd hopped off the flight. I'd reply later.

The car service was taking my things home so I didn't have to drag them through the stadium. Mom would be around here somewhere, probably hanging out with the other wives.

The atmosphere was insane. The stadium was full, cheering, clapping, shouting. As I weaved through staff and security, wearing a tag that verified me as VIP, I said hello to familiar faces.

Most of the crew knew who I was but I had to wear the tag just in case there were new security members who mistook me for a super fan trespassing and tackled me to the ground. Far fetched, but dad made sure we were identifiable at all times.

I could see the back of him as I snuck up. He was on the sidelines, hoodie and cap on, headset covering his ears. Players were lined up on the bench and I gestured for them to hush and not spoil the surprise.

Someone didn't realise and there was a loud "little Lahey," from one of them. Dad didn't hear him.

When I reached dad, I jumped onto his back and wrapped my arms around his neck. He didn't miss a beat.

"No fucking way," he said and I dropped just before he spun around, surprise and delight on his face. "What the fuck, kid. What are you doing here?"

He pulled me into an enormous hug and lifted his headset to sit on the side of his head.

"You good?" He asked, looking me over. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," I shouted over the noise in the stadium. "I came to visit and thought I'd surprise you."

"Best surprise ever," he tousled my hair, making a mess of the loose waves I'd carefully created. "How long are you in town for?"

I shrugged. "I haven't decided."

"Forever?"

"Dad."

He laughed and tucked me under his arm, flicking his head set back on. "A dad can hope. No, Rooney, I wasn't talking to you dip shit. Yes, back on side A. Got it."

"I'm gonna head up to the box and get a drink," I said, knowing he had a job to do and he'd find it hard to focus because he'd want to catch up with me. "We'll hang out later. I'll need a ride home."

"You're not gonna leave, right?"

"No, dad," I sighed. "My stuff is at home. I'll be here."

"Stay out of trouble, princess."

He grinned when I rolled my eyes at him.

It was his go to warning phrase for the games from the time we were children. Stay out of trouble, princess. He knew Lucas was the one who needed to hear that the most, but he never singled him out. So we were all warned and he's said it ever since.

"You too," I said and walked off.

Upstairs I wandered through the hall until I came to dads box. It was more like a living room with floor to ceiling windows, a bathroom, stacks of food and recliners.