(28)

"What do I have to do to make you disappear?! Poof. Cya - fucking - nara."

Jorjia stood on the drive. There was no chance I was letting her into the house so instead I nudged her down the front steps and stood in front of her, waiting to hear some grand explanation that would explain why she'd suddenly shown up and attached herself in the most inconvenient way.

"I came to tell you I'm leaving."

"Fucking thank the Lord," I tipped my head back. "But you didn't need to stop in. Simply fucking off would have been nice. I still don't know what the hell you came back for? Just to fuck with me? Just to remind me what you put me through? Make sure I wasn't moving on? Should I expect a visit once every couple of years?"

"Mom came into sell our house we'd been renting out. I figured I would catch up with a few old acquaintances given the chance. Abby wasn't interested. Told me to piss off when I turned up that afternoon. Then she had another go at me about interfering at that party. Said you were committing to one girl and I wasn't allowed to meddle. Not that I needed to."

My teeth ground together and I inhaled a deep breath.

"Seems I wasn't missed," she said. "Not that I expected to be. I was genuinely surprised you weren't available though. I'd been imagining what it would be like to fuck after we'd gained so much more experience. It's no bother though."

"You can leave now."

She nodded but before she could leave, I noticed the Rover coming around the bend behind her.

My stomach fell into my butt when I saw Amalia behind the wheel. Her sunglasses were on and she had her hair half up, half down. She hadn't even hopped out of the car and I was shitting bricks.

Jorjia peered over her shoulder as the car door opened and Amalia slid out wearing a short sundress. It was yellow and looked incredible against her skin tone.

The entire front was button up from top to bottom and the neckline was low and rectangular. Fuck, so beautiful.

Her expression bore confusion as she wandered over towards us. Jorjia gave me a wicked smile. If she so much as considered opening her fucking mouth I was going to pin it shut.

"Hey," Amalia said, standing beside me.

My nerves were shot to hell but I leaned down and gave her cheek a quick kiss. I couldn't kiss her lips. It would have felt so fucking wrong.

"Hey," I said. "You look beautiful. Uh sh—"

"Hi, I'm Jorjia," the she devil interrupted my attempt to suggest we get the fuck out of here.

Amalia smiled. "I'm Amalia."

"Oh I know," Jorjia said. "I'm an old friend. We used to go to school together. Lucas has been telling me so much about you. He sounds so smitten. It's adorable."

Amalia was fooled. She was smiling and totally unaware that Jorjia was mocking her. If I wasn't so opposed to hitting women, I would smack her straight in the face.

"You can go now," I snapped again and saw Amalia staring at me in my peripheral vision. "Bye Jorjia."

She ignored me. "I wish I wasn't leaving so soon. We could get to know each other more. My boyfriend is in town too. Could have had a double date."