36. Memorable Day

*please note - this chapter is part of the new edit. I've saved it over the previous one, so all the comments are from the old chapter.*

***

Liam

It had been some time since Serena's Dad came home from the hospital. At first he was still recovering, a sling around his arm and bandages around the area where he was hurt. Now he was a lot better.

It was honestly a relief to have him home, not just because the Hastings were really close to us, but also because I could longer see that look on Serena's face.

My brain felt rattled ever since I held Rena, as she cried outside the hospital.

I'd never ever seen her cry like that and never ever wanted to see her cry like that ever again.

It was the worst feeling possible to see her like that, so broken and hurt. She felt fragile and I couldn't think of anything to help fix her, except hug her and let her cry some more.

She held onto me, as if I was the only thing keeping her afloat and so...I tried to not let her drown.

However, now that Mr Hastings was home and looked like he'd recovered mostly, Rena looked so much happier. She smiled again.

We were reached towards the middle of summer now, and with each passing day, I was hoping for it to be extended by another one.

I still had tonnes of packing to get through for school and to sort out my current things, so I'd know what to take and what to get rid of, but that was just so long.

Julie and her Mum, had gone away for a vacation, to spend some time together, before she too was going away for college.

I was bummed about it, but I guess it makes sense. I'm just glad she got that ridiculous notion out of her head that long-distance automatically means break up.

After Rena came over to mine and I spoke to her, I realised what she said was so true. Moping about something wasn't going to get me anywhere. If I wanted something - or rather someone - then I'd have to try harder.

I called Julie after Rena had left. I was a little worried when she didn't really say anything, but I didn't let that deter me. I told her the honest truth that yes it would be difficult for our relationship and there even be some low points, but I wanted to try. I would try my hardest to keep things together, even if they're falling apart.

We spoke for a while, before Julie finally said she didn't want to break up. She explained that she didn't want to get hurt and didn't want to hurt me either. I understood what she said and why she thought that way, since long distance just sounds daunting, but I really felt like we'd get through this.

It just didn't make sense if we didn't even try.

After a long conversation, it seemed like things were back on track.

However, during my whole strop, I had made Mum worry quite a bit. She was not very happy and because of that, she decided I must be punished.

Any little errand that she had, Mum would make go out and do it for her. That way I'm punished and her job gets done - two birds with one stone. She was quite happy about it.