18. Act Natural

Liam

It's become a bit of a tradition now, to throw a party for Holden, even if he doesn't really one want one.

Well, he says that he doesn't, but we always notice the happy look he has on his face afterwards.

He's never really fussed about his birthday, but as his best mates, we have do something for him, it's basically our responsibility.

However, if I'm being really, really honest, this time this party isn't solely for Holden. Of course it's mainly for him, but for me, it's a little bit for Julie too.

I just can't seem to talk to her during school, every time that I do, she just seems to shy away and or gets so timid.

It's as if it'll hurt her if she talks to me. I'm not sure if I scare her that much or generally , she's just easily spooked.

I do think think I'm that scary. At least, Rena's never said that I am. She always spoke her mind around me, at least I think she does. But with Julie, I just can't seem to get her to talk to me.

There's also the fact that I can't ever seem to catch her alone. She's always with someone or huddled within the group.

When I spoke to the guys about it, they suggested I invite her to this party, since she'll be alone - kind of - and outside of a school environment. It would probably be the best time.

What they had said made sense. I hadn't spoke to Rena about it, but I'm sure she'd agree anyway. She agreed for the party already, so that was something.

"Chill man, she'll be here. Stop acting so damn nervous," Andre told me.

I had been pacing around for a while now, I just couldn't help it.

"Shut up. I'm not nervous," I snapped at him.

Okay well, that was an obvious lie. I'm pretty sure that the only thing that I felt right now was nervousness.

Andre seemed to know this too. "Yeah sure," he scoffed at me.

"Go DJ or something," I shoved him away from me, his presence was just annoying me right now and adding stress that I really didn't need.

After after shoving me back, he thankfully walked away.

"You okay, Liam?" Chris asked.

"Yeah," I gave him a smile and then just shrugged. "I just don't want to mess up with her," I told him honestly.

If all goes well, then this will be the first time I actually speak to her properly. Truthfully, I want to ask her out, but I just don't want to say the wrong thing and have her bolt or make her cry.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just act natural and ignore anything Andre says," Chris then told me and I couldn't help but laugh at this.

Just act natural, hopefully I can do that.

***

The party has been going on for half an hour now, why isn't she here?

Hopefully, Rena didn't let her back out. If anything, I'm sure she's offering her some reassurance, calming her nerves or something.

That was one of my favourite things about her, not that she was always there and helpful and a great friend - all that goes without saying - but it was that she had this calmness about her.

"Liam," I heard Rena call my name and instantly I turned towards her.

"Rena, you made it!" I practically yelled the words and unable to help myself, I hugged her straight away, picking her up a little.