11. Okay

The next morning I woke up, I felt like I was broken.

As if I was one of those porcelain dolls, that had been shattered, then put back together, but wasn't quite the same.

At some point in the night, I finally ran out of tears and got into bed before my parents made it home, covering my face with the blanket. I couldn't let my parents see me like this, this wasn't the girl they raised.

I was stronger than this.

Putting on some skinny jeans and a simple hoodie, I got ready for school. Tying up my curly hair, since I don't have it in me to stress over hair today.

Making my way downstairs and then into the kitchen, I saw Mum already there by the counter.

"Morning, honey. Breakfast?" Mum asked with her usual smile.

I then tried to force a smile on my face and nodded, since I don't want her to worry over me. Mum just has a way of knowing if something was wrong with me - she'd call it maternal instinct, but I'm pretty sure I had some kind of tell.

I grabbed my breakfast and sat at the counter next to my Dad, whilst smiled at me too.

"Rena, I noticed the leftovers weren't touched in the fridge yesterday. You didn't sleep on an empty stomach did you?" Mum asked with a frown.

I shook my head. "I bought something on the way home from school and ate that. I was too full to eat leftovers as well. I went to bed early too, didn't even notice when you guys came."

I felt bad lying to her, but after yesterday I lost my appetite and the ability to sleep. At least my lie would give my Mum some comfort.

"Okay, but next time please eat something proper, or at least order takeout," Dad then told me, before Mum could lecture me on the importance of eating proper meals.

I smiled at my Dad for the little save and he winked at me slyly.

***

I walked out and went towards my bike, not even glancing to check if Liam's car was there or not.

It's bad enough that I have to see him at school, I don't want to start the day with his face. I don't know if I'll be able to keep the control I have now - or resist the urge to punch him in the throat.

Suddenly, I heard a beep and I looked towards the source of the noise.

To my surprise, it's Danny.

He rolled down his window. "Get in cupcake," he yelled.

I smiled and left my bike, instead walking towards his car and getting in.

Danny would sometimes give me random lifts to school anyway, wasn't really a surprise. But usually he calls?

"Danny? Why are picking me up?" I questioned him as soon as I sat down.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, but it's just that I'm confused.

"Have you even looked at your phone since last night?" He asked me, a frown on his face.

I carried on giving him a confused look, and then took my phone out of my bag. When I glanced at it, I winched.

15 missed calls. 5 voicemails. 20 messages.

I looked at Danny with a guilty expression, but his eyes were just staring at the road ahead.

I realised that after I messaged Mum last evening, I must not have even looked at my phone till now.