Chapter 13

There are way fewer people mingling inside the building, and I love how excited and friendly they all seem. The place is surrounded by pictures and art, but the large glass windows show us what they really care about: Nature. Life.

I see his father talking with a tall red-headed woman, which I assume is Thomas's mother, and my heart warms. I've never really surrounded myself with many couples who are obviously in love. My parents being my first example of what not to expect from a relationship. But these two in front of me have just that kind of chemistry and easiness. So, even though they're just talking and nothing else, you can clearly see the love they have for each other.

"Hey mom," Thomas says, making them both look at us.

"Oh! You're done hiding your friend?" She smiles at him, then exchanges a look with his father, probably wondering why Thomas has a tight hold on my waist.

"Lisa, this is my mom, Carmen. The great mind behind it all here. Mom, this is my good friend Lisa."

"Hi, Lisa. It's so nice to finally meet you. Thomas has talked about you nonstop since the day he first met you when he went to visit his sister. We loved your cupcakes, by the way." She offers me her hand, which I promptly shake.

"Oh... Thank you! It's really nice to meet you too. This place is unbelievable. The work you guys have done is incredible. I'm really glad Thomas invited me." I look from her to him and smile.

"Will you be staying for the barbecue tomorrow? I'd love to get to know you more. Today is already crazy and I always feel like I'm rushing around, so nothing goes wrong," she says.

"Yeah. I'd love to." I smile, loving how nice she seems.

"You can even try riding a horse if you're feeling brave and all. I'm sure Thomas will be glad to teach you," his father adds.

"Really?" I look at Thomas.

"Of course." He pulls me even closer to him.

"There he is!" I hear a man saying and I turn around. He is about Thomas's age. Tall, black and really handsome. His light brown eyes are big and expressive, but what keeps my attention is his warm smile.

"Ethan." Thomas lets his hold on me go and rushes to hug the man. "Shit, man! It's being way too long."

"Man, it's good to be home." The guy holds Thomas for another second, before turning his attention to their parents and me.

"Carmen, Drew. Always good to see you guys." He greets them.

"Glad you're home safe, dear! You mom must be in heaven now that you're back," Carmen says after giving him a hug.

"A little mad I stopped here first to check the event before going home," Ethan says, turning to me.

"You must be Lisa. The woman who's charmed the shit out of my best friend here." He smiles at me.

"Uh... Yeah. I'm Lisa." I narrow my eyes at Thomas for a second and he just chuckles. "Nice to meet you, Ethan." I turn my attention back to him, offering my hand.

"The pleasure is all mine." He kisses the back of my hand, earning a glare and a shove from Thomas.

"Totally off-limits, man!" Thomas says.

"I thought you guys were just friends." Ethan smirks, raising his hands in surrender.

"I'm serious," Thomas says, making me frown.

"And I can make decisions on my own. Stop it with this macho bullshit. It doesn't suit you." I glare at him. "I'm serious," I add for good measure.

"Oh, this is going to be fun." Ethan chuckles. "Sorry, Lisa. I was just trying to poke the beast here."