Chapter 22

The air between us shifts as he follows me upstairs. It's like being in my place surrounded by my things will make things different; more personal. I know I've been to his place, met his parents and friends before... And it's honestly more than I've ever really had with any other guy. But something changed between us recently and I can't wrap my mind around it. I just know that having him in my place makes things more intimate; more intense.

"Nice place," he says once we step inside.

"Thanks." I can't help but bite my nails as he takes it all in, his eyes moving around curiously. "Would you like something to drink?" I ask.

"A glass of water, please." His eyes find mine and I realize this is kind of awkward for him too.

"Sure." I go to the kitchen and take a deep breath as I open the fridge and get a bottle of water for him.

"Thanks... Are you okay? Is it a bad time?" Thomas searches my eyes.

"Yeah. No. I... I guess I'm just surprised to see you... When did you arrive?"

"About a couple of hours ago. I thought I'd pay my sister a visit, then stop by to see you... But I ended up coming straight here and... Uh... now we're all awkwardly standing in front of each other and..." He chuckles, pink coloring his cheeks.

I don't know why, but seeing him blush makes me smile. "Can we start over?"

"How about we go out for a while? I could eat something..." He bites his lower lip, and it strangely puts me at ease. I'm not the only one nervous here.

"Sure. Uh, I was just... kind of in the middle of a bath when you arrived. Could you give me five minutes to get ready?" I feel myself blushing the moment he raises his eyebrows, a slow smirk forming on his lips.

"Uh... Yeah." His eyes shine, and the smile on his lips lets me know he's still just Thomas. 

"Shut up!" I walk by him to head to the bathroom. "Make yourself comfortable."

I quickly drain the water from the tub and hop in the shower. My hair is a mess, so I need to wash it if I want to look half decent. I haven't shaved all week and I curse when I see the state of my legs and armpits.

"Damn it!" I run the razor roughly over my legs.

When I'm done in the bathroom, I rush to the bedroom and sigh when I look at my clothes.

"God, I seriously need to go shopping." I get a pair of jeans and throw a plain black tank top in and a pair of flats.

I don't dare to look at myself in the mirror since I won't have time to deal with the dark circles that have been following me all week. By the time I'm ready, I need to take a couple of deep breaths to calm my nerves.

It's just Thomas, Lisa! Why the hell are you so nervous?

When I feel less like a ball of stress, I walk into the living room and stop dead in my tracks at the sight in front of me. Thomas is sitting on the couch with his arms crossed over his chest, his legs spread apart and his head resting on the back of the couch.

He looks fast asleep and my heart squeezes painfully tight in my chest. He looks so handsome and so out of place in my girly living room. My eyes go to his muscular body to his chiseled face and the need to touch him is stronger than me.

I sit down by his side, my body turned to him and my hand already touching his face. He has a day worth of stubble and I run my fingers lightly over it, my eyes having a hard time ignoring his mouth.

God, I look like a creep! I pull my hand away and he opens his eyes slowly, looking directly into mine. It's then I really realize how close we are. Yet, we don't make a move to put some distance between us.