The Throne Legacy ~ Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Lady Amaranthine glided through the corridors of the castle, her long dress brushing the stone floor. A small book was clutched in her hands and she fiddled with the clasp subconsciously, casting a nervous glance behind her occasionally. A few servants sped past her, barely stopping to bow or curtsey before carrying on their way.  

When she arrived at the Royal quarters she began to clutch the book tighter, her knuckles turning white. Finally she stopped in front of a large oak door and checked her appearance quickly, smoothing her sleek black hair, before knocking.

She heard voices inside then after a moment the door was opened and Duke Riku appeared in the narrow gap, hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

“Lady Amaranthine,” he greeted.

“Duke Riku,” she replied, dropping a small curtsey.

The Duke opened the door wide so she could enter. Once she was inside he cast a quick glance out into the corridor before quietly closing the door.

It was evening and the curtains were drawn, the room lit by candles and two torches in brackets by the main door. She stood nervously in the small entrance chamber to the Princesses’ quarters, it was not often she visited such Royals.

Nikita swept out of her bedchamber clothed in a fine blue dress with gold patterns, followed by her maid Lady Mylene. Upon seeing Amaranthine she smiled and came over to her, enveloping her in a small but warm embrace.

“Mylene, I have no further need of your services this evening,” Nikita said as she pulled out of the hug, turning to her maid.

“Your highness, I do not mind staying-”

“You have worked hard for me, you deserve a little time to yourself. Go, return to your chambers, I will be fine,” Nikita insisted.

Mylene gave a wry smile. “As you wish, your highness.” Then she drifted out of the room silently, the door clicking shut behind her.

As soon as she was gone Riku drew the bolt across the door, locking it shut and stood by it with his arms behind his back.

“Come, let us sit,” Nikita said, sinking down into one of the two small couches in the entrance chamber.

Amaranthine followed suit, sitting opposite her. “How are you faring?”

Nikita sighed. “Things aren’t looking that great, are they? Nobody wants to see me on the throne, I’m almost as bad as Sedar in their eyes.”

“There are some Loyalists,” Amaranthine replied. “The Knights are on our side, they are loyal to the King and the crown. As am I and Riku.”

“But who else?” Nikita said exasperatedly. “We’re fighting a losing battle.”

“The battle is not over yet,” Riku interrupted. “While the throne remains empty we will still fight for it.”

“How will this be resolved?” Nikita asked. “No one can agree, so what will happen?”

“I do not know,” Riku said forlornly. “All we can do is be careful. These have become confusing and troublesome times.”

Amaranthine nodded in agreement. With all the Royals claiming they should be the next ruler of Incasta nothing was certain. The departure of Sedar had been a blow for the Loyalists, as he was not only the named heir but also a wise and knowledgeable man whom had many allies amongst the commoners. He would have been able to gain the trust and loyalty of the people of Incasta.

“You must be careful especially, Nikita,” Riku continued. “As you are the eldest child of the King, the only thing stopping you from taking the crown is the over opinionated spoilt Royals who dislike the idea of having a bastard child on the throne. They cannot see past that, short-sighted fools.” The Duke’s face had twisted into a look of disdain as he stared off into the distance, remembering those who dared to slander the Princess before the King’s funeral.