The Throne Legacy ~ Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Duke Riku walked through the halls, cloak swirling around him as he strode to Lady Zyphire’s room. He knocked on the door and waited, somewhat impatiently, for an answer.

“Come in,” Zyphire’s trembling voice came from the other side of the door.

Riku entered the room, closing the door softly behind him. He stood awkwardly in the entrance before crossing the room towards the four-poster bed in which the Lady Zyphire lay. Her skin was pale and a cloth was tied around her head, slightly red with blood. Her blonde hair splayed on the pillow around her.  

“Can I help you, Duke Riku?” Zyphire asked while looking up, tearing her eyes away from the window to fix on her visitor. She had to blink a few times to clear her vision from black spots. “Duke?” she asked again when Riku remained silent.

“I came to see how you were fairing,” Riku said, shifting where he stood.

Zyphire let out a soft snort. “There must be something behind that.”

Riku frowned. “You were attacked, your welfare is my concern. I allowed you to go out into the city and you have been injured because of it. I should not have let you go.”

“And force me to be kept penned up inside,” Zyphire retorted, then her face softened slightly. “Though your concern is appreciated, I still sense something else has brought you here.”

Riku placed his arms behind his back. “There have been...a lot of tensions. We have to discuss the murder of the King. Therefore, we will need your help and that of your brother.”

“My brother is innocent. He does not have to be drawn into this.” Zyphire mumbled. “I will help you and clear both our names, of me and my brother.”

Riku wrung his hands behind his back. “We will need Jaye to give evidence.”

“I do not want him here, not after what happened today...” she winced slightly. “I do not want him to get hurt.”

Riku nodded. “I understand, but you cannot hope to have both your names cleared, if you are found to be innocent, without his presence. I assure you he will have the utmost security.”

“Yes, because my security was incredibly effective,” Zyphire said sarcastically, staring levelly at Riku. “I will not have Jaye here.”

“That was an unfortunate occurrence,” Riku replied uncomfortably. “Security will be doubled. Jaye will be taken straight to the castle where he will be safe.”

Zyphire looked at the Duke, she pushed herself up to her elbows. “Promise me, Riku. Promise me that no harm will come to him.”

Riku remained silent for a moment, looking into Zyphire’s eyes and only seeing concern for her sibling.

“You have my word.”

*

Ihlia fastened the clasp on the necklace then stepped back to admire her handiwork. Strawberries smiled at the maid in the mirror. “Thank you.”

“You look beautiful,” Ihlia beamed as the Princess stood.

“Not as beautiful as Nikita,” Strawberries said, spinning her pearl bracelet around her wrist. It had been her mother’s, the only thing she had left to remind her of the Queen.

“Oh, I think you are just as beautiful.”

There was a knock at the door and Ihlia disappeared into the outer chamber, returning a moment later accompanied by Lady Kiree. She wore an elegant blue evening gown with long silk sleeves.