Sixteen

Alexys stirred, a strange, yet familiar scent in her nose

Alexys stirred, a strange, yet familiar scent in her nose. She had spent the night in a room by Rain's, for she did not know the nature of her nights with Hvitserk and hardly wanted to find out, but also wished to be close in case of another nightmare. However, what she had not anticipated was to find Rain, fully dressed at the foot of her bed with a bowl of sweet, dried fruits, a wine she had found in one of the houses, and a roll of warm bread.

"Hello," Rain grinned honestly, then chuckled as Alexys all but jumped across the bed to the food, "It took a bit to find, but..."

"Thank you," Alexys beamed, wrapping her arms around Rain. She hadn't anticipated any form of celebration, so it was a welcomed change, "I mean it truly. I hadn't thought that we would celebrate."

Rain shook her head and ruffled Alexys' locks, then stood, "Well, regardless of it all, you were there for me last night...so I owe you. Besides, Ivar came to me begging for ideas."

It was a humorous thought – the idea of Ivar begging for anything. So, at Rain's order, she ate and dressed and headed to the courtyard, where Ivar retrieved her and the pair prepared to spend the day together. He had planned for her to have a feast in her honor that night and in the day they would go to the beach and have time to themselves, as Alexys had loved to do in her previous name days. She appreciated the intent and work that Ivar had put into it and they were preparing for the feast when Alexys received the ting that she had wanted more than anything.

Rain and Ivar faced each other, exchanging an expression of truce. They spoke softly and when it was finished, they were not friends again, but there was much less hostility. The collection feasted and drank and enjoyed the music, but Rain could not help but think how much nicer it would sound if Sigurd had been playing. Alexys could tell. She frowned, but when Hvitserk muttered into Rain's ear, there was a look of relief upon the seventeen-year-old's face.

"Marry me," Hvitserk muttered, stealing Rain from her grief.

"What must I do to make you stop this?" she rolled her eyes teasingly.

Hvitserk made an expression as if thinking of an alternative, then replied, "It's simple."

"Is it?" Rain spoke with caution.

"Marry me."

"Maybe," relented the curly haired young woman, for over a year's worth of begging was finally beginning to wear on her nerves, "Just maybe."

"I will take it," Hvitserk shrugged, pressing his lips to her temple, "For now."

"Hmm," she pressed her lips together sassily, then turned to face Alexys, "To Alexys Thorisdottir!"

The others echoed her toast and raised their glasses, even Ubbe who was constantly in a sour mood when Ivar was around. He was on the other side of Rain and she offered him a small smile, which he returned, albeit a little forced. Ubbe lowered his mouth to his drink and gulped down the liquid, then nudged her as if she were a sister to him. She mimicked his movement and grinned; Hvitserk took her chin suddenly and turned her head, pressing a kiss to her lips. The movement was unexpected but welcome and she reciprocated shortly, then drank from her cup.