Twelve

Screams and cries and the beating of tramping feet echoed up the forested hillside, forms of all ages, sizes and genders fleeing from their oncoming attackers. The rhythmic clapping of the waves against the sides of their boats was like a lullaby, but all were too invigorated from their previous night to slumber. Sigurd had managed to calm the crazed look in Rain's eyes from the blood eagle with his oud, occupying her adrenaline ridden mind with something more productive than destructive.

Alexys was glad of her friend's distraction, for with the amount of healing Rain did, she could easily crash at any moment from the pain she constantly endured. The demi-goddess felt a gentle tugging on the hem of her tunic, her greying eyes sweeping to Ivar. His gaze was locked ahead of them, where he could see the fleeing forms and he flicked his tongue across the dryness of his chapped lips, hungering for another fight.

"I hope they are praying," Rain chuckled to herself, earning a collection of looks. Ivar seemed the most surprised, but also, seemed to understand, sharing in her smirk as she clarified, "For it is the only hope they have."

Her explanation bore smirks and cries in agreement. Ivar gave a wicked smirk to his new friend and bore a loving look to the daughter of Thor, perpetually trying to figure out what he had done to deserve a young woman such as she. It took Alexys a moment before her eyes flickered back to him and she smiled down at him, pressing a kiss to his smoothed back, sleek locks. An exchange as such between Ivar and Alexys did not go unnoticed by his grinning brothers, nor Rain's perceptive eye.

"Now, place your fingers here and here," Sigurd instructed and Ubbe leaned towards his brother, second in line and smirked:

"Careful, Hvitserk, our brother may steal your woman yet."

Hvitserk's frown grew deep and severe. The ship pulled into shore and they unloaded their weapons and provisions, the chill of Mercia growing more and more noticeable. They settled into a camp, a fire brewing as food was made, Rain crouched by the fire and the low hanging spit, tending the flame as she turned the game from time to time. Ivar and Alexys sat close, huddled under a large pelt. Her head was beginning to feel light and achy, a sign of a violent vision. The vision came, but the violence did not. Aside from a pain of the eyes and skull, she saw a few ominous images. Ivar on his feet; Hvitserk with a knife to his throat; Ubbe with a bloodied eye; Rain with a bleeding nose, eyes and ears.

The last image jolted her upright and she looked to her friend with wild eyes, but Rain's back was to her and she did not catch the gaze. Ivar felt the sudden, vicious shock that overcame her body, his grip tightening in reassurance as he continued in the speech that Alexys had not been listening. Rain gave the spit a turn and shivered violently, Hvitserk kicking out his cloak to gain her attention. She gave him a pointed look with a small grin, but the look on Bjorn's face showed displeasure – not at their exchange, but at Ivar's latest comment.