Three

The north was far colder than either of the girls had anticipated, just as they were in far more need of rest than originally thought. They were given a place in the largest house, where Aslaug and their family remained, kept warm by a fire and luxurious rugs and cloths. Alexys had been insistent on the pair of them being kept in the same room, for it was with each other that they were most comfortable and she also worried for the often bashful Rain, who had been quite taken with Hvitserk, the second son of Aslaug and Ragnar.

"Do you think he has a woman?" Rain asked softly as they were warmed by the dying fire and many animal furs.

"I think he has many women," Alexys chuckled and sipped the wine that rested beside her make-shift bed.

"What?" asked Rain as she turned sharply.

"He is far too smug, Rain, there is no way he is 'pure'," she clarified and watched her friend deflate. "You can do far better, believe me," Alexys added and coiled her finger in one of the loose curls that sprung from Rain's scalp.

"No one sees me as highly as you do, Dear one," Rain reminded and turned onto her side, "I wish they did, but they do not."

Alexys let out a low sigh, for she understood the feeling to a degree. It was no secret that she was not as slim or lean as her mother or brothers, which made others think her slow and lacking in stamina. However, she had never been either of the two – her fighting style was the kind of the mind, one that required an intellect and observations about her opponent; she fought smart, not hard. Not to mention the plague of being seen as a child, nor the expectations on women by those of other cultures; she was fortunate to be Greek and Norse, for they both respected women and taught them to be fighters.

"We'd best rise," Alexys spoke after a pregnant pause, "They will begin to see us as lazy or assume us dead."

"I suppose," Rain laughed, a bit of light-hearted humor returning to her tone. Then, pushing herself upward, contacting the stream of morning light, splintering the rays, "Come, let us head out."

"Wait," protested the blonde and Rain paused, looking back, "Your hair, it is not yet done in the proper style."

Confusion struck Rain and she brought her hand to her crown, where her locks were loosely contained. Alexys waved her closer and she seated herself as the blonde began tugging on her locks. Rain flinched at the first tug, but soon grew accustomed to the tugging and weaving that came with the braids, her head a bit sore at the end but a smile of satisfaction rose to her lips as Rain smoothed a hand over the rows.

"There," Alexys grinned widely, "Viking."

"Viking," Rain repeated and they stood, heading thusly into the morning rays of sun and drinking the smell of the morning dew on the lands of Kattegat.