Two

On a pair of tromping steads, the girls rode, the steps of the horses becoming a tedious feeling after their first few days of travel

On a pair of tromping steads, the girls rode, the steps of the horses becoming a tedious feeling after their first few days of travel. There were two guards for each girl, though their presence had come from Thor's consistent worry for his precious daughters – and yes, daughter was the title for both of the girls. The men were friends of the mighty Agathe, the Greek warrior princess that was Alexys' mother, the eldest of the group being her brother, Perseus, named after the fabled hero.

"How many more days?" Alexys questioned, her brow furrowed in curiosity as they searched for a place to set up camp.

"Fifteen, young one," spoke Perseus, chuckling as she had asked every day of their journey – she was eager.

"It grows colder as we travel," Rain observed, tugging at furs that they had been provided by Odin.

"That is because we travel north and west at the same time," answered a man by the name of Alesandro.

He inclined his head towards the girl of nineteen, watching as she grinned slightly, drinking in the knowledge. Alesandro was a friend to the family of Perseus and Agathe, but he was a peculiar man, with odd attributes – he was however the man that had taught Rain the many tongues she spoke, for she became his scholarly apprentice. He was unmarried with no children of his own, so for a great deal of her life, Rain lived in his home, acting as his daughter.

Perseus, ever the teasing uncle, chuckled lowly and took a quick sweep of the landscape, "So, girls, do you aim to find husbands in this new land? You are both of Northern blood."

Rain's cheeks dusted a bright red, while Alexys rolled her shimmering eyes and answered smartly, "Are you to find a wife?"

The three other men gave a bellowing chuckle, which slowly lulled into silence as they found their place of rest for the night; a small grove surrounded by large, unfamiliar trees which created a shade with opening only for the slim streams of moonlight. The beams bathed the skin of the party of six and the two girls lowered themselves near the fire, propped up on elbows and watching the flames. Sometimes, when the flames would twist and kick just right, the flecks of green and silver would become visible to those around.

Night swept them up and swaddled them to sleep, Perseus on first watch. It had been about a days' time since their last meal, but the wine and water they drank managed to keep them from becoming faint – it left their bodies just strong enough to await the meal of the morning. Rain was responsible for such and in the morning, she hunted, a bow gripped in her hand, as if it were an extension of her body, moving as she did.

She paused, kneeling by a pile of animal excrement and held her hand just close enough to feel any heat radiating from the substance. It was still warm and she drew back, stringing her bow. Her eyes traveled to the land around and the ground bristled as the creature shifted. Bushes rustled and she released the arrow, landing a perfect shot in the black eye of the wild grey cattle. It made a horrid noise and fell to the side, silenced by another arrow to the heart.