Eight

Soft blades of grass bent and twisted under the feet of the daughter of Odin and the king of Kattegat, his son upon his back. They still had a great deal of distance to cover on foot and weariness was beginning to settle in on all fronts, amusement coming from the interactions between Ivar and his father, for no matter what one said, the other had an amusing reply. She had a feeling they were drawing nearer to their destination and she sunk her teeth into her lower lip, casting her eyes upwards and hoping perhaps, that in the rays of the sun, the bursts of light and warmth, that she might see her friend once more.

For a moment, it seemed, she saw Rain, beside Hvitserk, sailing towards the Mediterranean. Whether she truly saw this image or not, it was the true state of her friend. Rain glanced to Hvitserk and the young man did the same, his lips curling into a smirk. His fingers, with calloused tips, trailed along her rounded, full cheeks and she released a low, nearly unheard sigh. Suddenly, she seized his hand, holding it in her own as she bore her attention to Bjorn, who stood beside their guest. At the head of the boat was Rollo, who had only allowed their release at the cost of his accompaniment.

"Oars!" called ship after ship, all suddenly coming to a halt.

Rollo paused, his eyes skimming the boat as he waited. Suddenly, he was being bound, but he gave no motion to fight back, for he knew he was outnumbered and not as strong as he had once been. He sported an unsurprised expression as they hurled his form into the water, watching him suffer and drown. His legs were tied to a rope that trailed back into the boat and when he was clearly unconscious, they pulled him back into the ship and Rain pressed her lips into the flesh of Hvitserk's palm.

Rollo began coughing of sums of water, the point proven as they began to move again. Rain strode to the back end of the ship, seating herself on a pile of furs and reclining against the crafted wooden surface, soon joined by Hvitserk. He settled next to her, seemingly slightly aghast at the actions that had just occurred, his steely eyes remaining on the side of her face. She felt the heat of his gaze on her face and grew hot, her teeth clamping on her cheek. She turned to face him and took his hand as if by second nature, tracing small circles into the backside of his hand.

"It will be strange to go back," Rain sighed aloud as she licked her lips.

"Back?" Hvitserk raised a brow, slightly.

"Alexys and I are from Greece – it's along the Aegean Sea, which connects to the Mediterranean, it is beautiful – Aesir would take Alexys and I on some trips with him, short ones, but we would cross the Mediterranean."

"Do you think we will see him there?" asked the young man.

"Perhaps," she chuckled, "More likely Keldan...he can always find the ones he searches for – it is his gift...it's how Alexys and I were able to locate your family."