she's terrified

Chaeyoung squealed loudly as Jisoo approached the water and launched herself away from Jennie, latching herself onto Jisoo.

Fortunately for her, Jisoo was prepared for the assault, countless trips to the beach as kids meant she had learnt the painful way to expect Chaeyoung's affections. "You're getting too heavy for this."

"I am not!" Chaeyoung huffed indignantly, swatting Jisoo's shoulder and ruffling her hair.

Jisoo responded by dropping them both below the surface of the water.

•••

Lisa had wasted no time in telling Yeri all about her interaction with Seulgi in the queue for drinks.

"What do you think she meant by it?" Lisa mused for the third time since she had sat down.

"I think she meant that Jisoo is into you." Yeri replied for the third time. "And that Jisoo's freak out was because she was scared." Yeri shoved her lightly. "Congratulations, you managed to scare the biggest hardass on campus."

The joke prompted only a tight smile from her friend and Yeri could see that she was thinking hard, the conflict evident on her face. Did she allow herself to hope, or was that just opening her up to get her heart more broken?

To try and distract her, Yeri managed to convince Lisa to join in a game of beach rounders. She had been her friend for long enough to know that engaging Lisa's competitive nature was the best way to stop her from over thinking things, even if it was only for a little while.

For the most part it seemed to work, the crinkling of Lisa's forehead which had been present since she had returned with their drinks had smoothed over, and she was smiling. Granted, the smile didn't quite reach her eyes all of the time, but Yeri counted it as a win.

Yeri hadn't been planning on intervening in Lisa and Jisoo's situation. She made it her business to stay out of other people's relationships, preferring to offer moral support from a safe distance.

But something about seeing Lisa so despondent and knowing exactly just how hard she had fallen for Jisoo, and in return how hard Jisoo had fallen for Lisa, had Yeri thinking that maybe she should intervene, should give her friend the nudge she so clearly needed.

That thought was solidified when she noticed Jisoo in the water with Chaeyoung, Jennie and Seulgi. Right behind their rounder game.

A plan formed in Yeri's mind. One Seulgi would be proud of.

It seemed her ex-girlfriend had rubbed off on her.

She had to wait until Lisa was in the right place before she could put her plan into action.

"You better be ready for this one!" she called out, twirling the bat round in one hand and shooting Lisa a cocky smile.

Lisa arched an eyebrow in return, taking a few steps forward before cupping her hands round her mouth and calling back. "Bring it Yeri!"

Yeri bobbed her head to the bowler, watching the ball carefully as it arced towards her, lined up her shot, smirking a little when the ball made solid contact with the bat.

It soared up and over the fielders, including Lisa.

Yeri jogged slowly round to first base, watching with a small smirk as the ball sailed towards the water.

Lisa followed it avidly, her eyes so fixed on where the ball was in the air, that she wasn't paying attention to where it was going to land.

Right in front of Kim Jisoo.

The ball flew past Lisa's outstretched hands, despite her valiant effort to dive and intercept it.

Spitting out a mouthful of sand, Lisa pushed herself up on her hands.

Eyes landing on Kim Jisoo as she stood up in the water, in a bikini.

Scrambling to her feet Lisa couldn't help the widening of her eyes. It didn't matter that she was still angry at the other woman, the sight of water droplets rolling down lean, toned muscles were enough to cause her brain to short circuit.

Jisoo hadn't seen her yet, she was too busy wrestling with Chaeyoung, each trying to dunk the other under the surface of the water.

Seulgi and Jennie had however, the two other women had been standing watching the sisters, but their gazes quickly shifted to Lisa. Jennie offered her a reassuring smile, Seulgi just grinned widely, eyebrows waggling as she looked between Lisa's slack jawed expression and Jisoo as she fought with Chaeyoung.

"Hah!" Jisoo declared triumphantly, managing to get on top of Chaeyoung, causing the blonde to slip beneath the surface of the water. Stepping back, Jisoo laughed loudly, running her hands through her wet hair, slicking it back against her head. Her abdominal muscles tensed at the motion and Lisa felt her throat go dry.

Damn you hormones.

The laugh died on Jisoo's lips as her eyes made contact with Lisa.

Her eyes widened and flooded with shock.

"Lisa!" she swallowed hard, hearing her own name as a breath on Jisoo's lips, her eyes fluttered shut as she tried to calm her rapidly beating heart.

Jisoo waded forward a few steps, her eyes searching Lisa's face for something. When Lisa didn't move or react, she faltered a little bit, gaze flitting ever so briefly to Seulgi.

Lisa knew that Jisoo was gearing up to say something, and hope once again blossomed in her chest, followed immediately by an almost paralyzing fear.

She was scared of what Jisoo might have to say.

It could be Jisoo finally rejecting her.

Or it could be her finally saying the words Lisa so desperately wanted to hear.

She didn't know which scared her more.

Her feet acted without a conscious demand from her brain. Turning on her heel she fled up the beach.

Jisoo stood, watching shell shocked as Lisa bolted away from her across the sand. Her brain screamed at her to move, but her body refused, glued in place.

"What the hell are you waiting for?!" Seulgi's voice pulled her out of her trance, head snapping to the left she saw her best friend watching her, hands spread out in a gesture of complete and utter disbelief. "Go after her!"

oof cliffhangerrr

today's song rec is
i need u - clc