the shoe boy

Miguel pov

" Sometimes, I think I'm cursed. 'Cause of something that happened before I was even born. See, a long time ago, there was this family. The Papa, he was a musician. He and his family would sing and dance and count their blessings. But he also had a dream. To play for the world. And one day... he left with his guitar... and never returned.

And my Mama... She didn't have time to cry over that walk-away musician. After banishing all music from her life... she found a way to provide for her daughter. She rolled up her sleeves... and she learned to make shoes. She could have made candy. O-o-or fireworks. Or sparkly underwear for wrestlers. But no. She chose shoes. Mama got remarried to the guy name dorito, hes been our step papa ever since. Then she taught her husband and daughter to make shoes.

And later, she taught her son-in-law. Then her grandkids got roped in. As her family grew, so did the business. Music have torn her family apart. But shoes held them all together. You see that woman... was my great-great-grandmother... Mama Imelda. She died way before I was born. But my family still tells her story... every year on Da de los Muertos -- the Day of the Dead... And her little girl? She's my great-grandmother, Mama Coco.  " Hola, Mam Coco. " i said " How are you, Julio? " mama coco greets me. " Actually, my name is Miguel.

Mama Coco has trouble remembering things. But it's good to talk to her, anyway. So, I tell her pretty much everything. " I used to run like this. But now I run like this, it's just way faster. The winner is... luchadora Coco! I have a dimple on this side, but not on this side. Dimple, no dimple. Dimple, no dimple. " i told mam coco, while were at the dinner table " Miguel, eat your food. " my grandmam said.

" My abuelita, she's Mama Coco's daughter." " Aw, you're a twig, mijo. Have some more." Grandmam said, putting food on my plate " No, gracias. " I said " I asked if you would like more tamales. " grandmam asked again with anger " S-Si? " I stubbered " That's what I thought you said! " Grantham puts more on my plate to let me eat. " Abuelita runs the house just as Mam Imelda did. " I said " No music! No music! No music! "

" I think we're the only family in Mexico who hates music. And my family's fine with that. But me..." I grabbed my shoe cleaning box with me as I ran towards the door " Be back by lunch, mijo." Mum said " Love you, Mam! I'm not like the rest of my family. " "Hola, Miguel. " the person greeted me, i grabed the food and thanked him " Hola. Muchas gracias! " I said " De nada, Miguel!" He said, I tapped my fingers on the glass figures and the bin, the in it was Santa. " He-hey, Dante! Sit. Down. Roll over. Shake. Fist bump. Good boy, Dante! "

" Miguel! " I heard. I turned around and it was Mollene, and she's wearing the red and white mexican fiesta dress and had her hair down. And she has a same flower on her hair like always. " hi mollene! " Her name is Mollene La Gray, shes my best friend, but adult. My family knew her ever since I was 3, and she became our family and my friend ever since. " Miguel, what are you doing here. " Mollene asked, a bit curious " I'm just going to shoe shine some customers, do you want to come? " I asked.

" of course, I would love to come. " mollene said and we runned off. " And I know, I'm not supposed to love music. But it's not my fault. It's his. " Ernesto de la Cruz. The greatest musician of all time. Here in this very plaza, the young Ernesto de la Cruz took his first steps toward becoming the most beloved singer in Mexican history." The lady said, telling the people about him. " He started out a total nobody from Santa Cecilia, like me. But when he played music, he made people fall in love with him. He starred in movies. He had the coolest guitar. He could fly! And he wrote the best songs. But my all-time favorite is... "

( flash back )

, Remember me ( remember me ) ,

, Though I have to say goodbye Remember me ( remember me) ,