Chapter Forty Three

I was sat in the corner of the Wyrm nursing a drink as I kept an eye on the Serpents when Jughead came over to me looking frantic.

'Penny called' he said, which instantly grabbed my attention, 'She has Toni, I called Cheryl and we're going to rescue her so I need you to hold down the fort here'

'Sure Jug. Just bring Toni home safe' I ordered him.

I began to panic. Penny being back was bad news and I knew for sure she was going to habe aligned herself with the Ghoulies. This was bad news for all of us and I had to come up with a plan to stop them all.

Jughead came back about an hour later with both Cheryl and Toni (who was thankfully unharmed) and told us that Penny either wanted us to give up the Southside freely or fight the Ghoulies for it at dawn. Either way, we were screwed.

'It's time we end the Ghoulie scourge, and that traitor Penny Peabody' Sweet Pea decided after listening to Jughead.

'Sweet Pea, two hours ago your fight was with Reggie Mantle. Now you want us to go to war over territory we don't even control anymore?' Jughead asked, 'This is Hiram Lodges problem, not our'

'So you're just gonna hand over Sunnyside Trailer Park, our home, to Penny and the Ghoulies?' Toni asked angrily.

'Toni, I don't want us to die. A rumble with the Ghoulies right now? It's a suicide run'

'It wouldn't be a suicide run' I spoke up from where I was sat, 'But even if it was Jughead, it would be better than a cowards death' I told him as I joined Sweet Pea and Toni.

'That's enough!' FP shouted over us all as he came into the Wyrm and joined us in the middle of the floor.

He looked pissed off so I instantly went to stand beside him and I grabbed his hand.

'I just got a call from the Sheriffs office' he said, 'Fangs, uh, he didn't make it. He's gone'

I couldn't help the sob that left my mouth when I heard the news. FP pulled me to him, trying to comfort me but I pushed him away, knowing that Sweet Pea would need me. I was right. The look on his face was the one he made when he was trying not to cry. I pulled him down to my height and hugged him as tightly as I could. I let him go once he had stopped shaking and went to stand next to FP on the stage.

'We're gonna mourn Fangs, we will. But first, we will honour him,' I told the Serpents.

'From what I just heard when I came in, we need to put it to a vote. All those against going to war with the Ghoulies?' FP asked but no one raised their hand, 'And all those for giving them hell on the battle field tomorrow?'

Every Serpent in the room raised their hand to vote, even Cheryl who wasn't technically a Serpent but she saved Toni so she got a vote. But my eyes were on Jughead who slowly turned round to face us, but he still didn't vote.

FP walked around the Wyrm, talking to the Serpents, going round and talking battle plans with them, but I looked for Jughead who was sat on the steps outside the Wyrm.

'We're going in blind Crystal. For all we know, the Ghoulies out number us 100 to 1' he sighed.

'I know Jughead. Which is why I've come up with an alternative, hopefully less bloody plan' I told him.

'I'm listening'

.

My plan wasn't brilliant, but I knew Jughead would agree. My plan was for Jughead and I to sacrifice ourselves. If Penny and the Ghoulies got the Serpent Queen and Prince then maybe they'd settle.

'You know your plan may not work?' Jughead said softly.

'But isn't it worth a go if it could possibly save some lives?'

'I'll ring Hiram Lodge and make him our offer. I'm convinced that he is the one who is pulling the strings with Penny and the Ghoulies. Then I gotta ring Betty' he told me.

'I gotta see my dad and FP, this is gonna break their hearts'

I walked back inside and found my dad pouring drinks for the Serpents. He beckoned me over to him.

'Your mom called' he told me, 'Said she's taken Jonathon and Elijah out of town for a week until things calm down'

'Running away. That sounds like her'

'You still got me kid, I'm not going anywhere' dad reassured me.

'I love you dad'

'I love you too Crystal' he replied, kissing my forehead.

I headed over to FP, already feeling full of guilt that I couldn't say a proper goodbye to dad without him getting suspicious, and now I had to do the same thing all over again.

'Hey Crystal' he greeted me happily with a small kiss, 'Where did that pain in the ass son of mine go?'

'He's talking to Betty and then he and I are going to my trailer to get some things'

'Sounds good Queen' he replied, kissing me again, 'I'm glad we're back together Crystal. I missed you'

'I missed you too FP,' I replied softly, trying not to cry.

'I love you baby girl'

'I love you too King' I whispered back before going to join Jughead outside again.

'Lets go'

We set off hand in hand to meet Penny and the Ghoulies.