Chapter Twenty Nine

It was in our dedicated 'safe haven' a few days later when Jughead decided to kick up a fuss about Pickens day. The Serpents had been offered to be hired as security for the event and he didn't like that one bit.

'Some of us could do with the money Jughead' I argued.

'It's derogative Crystal, they still don't see us as their equals' he responded.

'And they never will Jughead!' I started to raise my voice a little, 'I'm not an idiot, we're still Southside scum to everyone here but we have to make the most of the opportunities given to us here'

I turned and walked away from him, terrified that I might hit him if I stayed. He was still complaining later that day when I went to the student lounge with Toni to meet him for an interview he was doing with her Granddad - he was the oldest living Serpent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jughead came storming into his trailer later that night when FP and I were watching TV.

'I've just finished my interview with Toni's Grandfather. He told me the real reason behind the Serpents forming' he ranted to us 'How is that fair? Something needs to be done'

'Like what Jughead? It was about four generations ago or something. We'll never be able to go back to what we once were' I told him. 

'People need to know the truth' he decided.

'Please don't do anything stupid kid' FP asked him tiredly.

He just huffed and walked away from us, probably thinking up some master plan.

'Your kid is going to be the death of me FP' I groaned.

'You and me both Crystal' he agreed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Woah, where you going Miss Firecracker?' Sweet Pea asked as I made my way down the corridor.

'I am going to kill Jughead! Have you seen this article he wrote?' I asked, showing him the school paper which featured a story about how the Serpents ended up like they are today, 'It portrays us as victims Sweet Pea! We are anything but victims'

'I know Crystal' he reassured me, 'Toni is already on it since her Grandfather is the one who started Jones on this'

'Her Granddad is gonna be more furious than us' I half laughed, 'He's gonna want to be repayed'

'And I can't wait to see what he comes up with' Sweet Pea said happily.

It was that night in the Whyte Wyrm, after Jughead had spoke to Toni's Granddad, that a decision was made as to how we would get our voice across.

At Pickens Day, we got ourselves ready and interrupted Veronicas ridiculous singing with an almost peaceful protest. We all had tape over our mouths and we carried signs with various messages on them about our land. I walked proudly next to Sweet Pea and Fangs as Toni led the way with a microphone. We stood in front of Veeronica who asked us in furious whispers what we were doing.

'We're here representing the dead and silenced' Toni told everyone, sing the microphone to project her voice, 'Pickens Day is a lie. General Pickens slaughtered the Uktena tribe, my Grandfathers family, and this land, the land that we're standing on, the land that will soon give way to a new Southside, was stolen from them'

I was super prod of Toni right now but furious when Hiram Lodge went up on stage and tried to make this whole thing better. What a complete tosser!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Today was kind of a bust' I told FP as we got ready for bed, 'Hiram took over the whole thing to make himself look good in front of the town'

'Of course he did Crystal, it's what he does'

'It just, it makes me so angry!' I explained.

'Calm down, there's nothing you can do about it now and I doubt Toni would've liked you getting involved anyway'  he explained rationally.

'You're too fucking calm, I don't like it' I chuckled, snuggling up beside him.

'Only because I feel a storm brewing Crystal' he replied 'It's gonna be the end of us all'