Chapter Ten

We were watching the idiotic video again during lunch the next day at school to ensure that all of the Serpents our age had seen it. Jughead must've heard it as he rushed over to us as soon as he had bought his food.

'Guessing we're not watching funny cat videos?' he asked sarcastically.

'Check this out' Sweet Pea told him and turned the laptop so Jughead could see the video, 'Some sick - in - the - head Northsider posted a crazy ass video, and we were just talking'

'About what?' Jughead asked hesitantly.

'Fogarty wants to earn his Serpent stripes. I say bring us the head of that Northsider and you're in' I decided, punching his arm.

'I'm down with that' Fangs agreed almost right away.

All of the Serpents started laughing at his eagerness.

'No guys, no -' Jughead started to warn us until I cut him off.

'What, Jones?' I asked, a little pissed off.

'I know this guy. He's a milque toast. He's a football player' he explained 'It's a lame target is all I'm saying'

'Yeah, no, I disagree Jughead, this guy is perfect' I responded.

'You want to prove something?' he asked Fangs 'Why don't you go after the black hood?'

Sweet Pea and I both scoffed at the same time.

'And why would we do that?' Sweet Pea asked Jughead, 'The Black Hood is targeting Northsiders, who do nothing but blame the Southside for everything that's wrong with this town.'

'We're sick of it Jones, your dad was too. The Black Hood is doing our work for us' I agreed with Sweet Pea, 'He's basically a hero'

The others agreed with me as I knew they would, we took any chance we could to go against those vile Northsiders, and this was our perfect opportunity! Jughead stormed away from us as I turned to Fogarty.

'Unless an opportunity arises before then, a week Friday is your deadline Fangs. You gotta decide how much you wanna be a Serpent'

'Consider it done Crystal'

'Good. Toni, keep with Jones these next couple of days, tell me if he does anything extra crazy.' I asked.

'No worries, I'll get on that. He's beginning to trust me now I think' she replied.

'Great, he needs to know we're on his side at the end of the day'

It was the next day when Toni rang me to say she was helping Jughead and his little girlfriend break a coded message sent by the Black Hood. I offered to go with her, not wanting her to be alone but she insisted I stayed away so I did. I decided to finally go and visit FP in prison. I wasn't sure why it had taken me this long to muster up the courage but I finally had the guts to go and see him.

I didn't tell anyone where I was going as I crossed the tracks to the Northside and headed to the prison.

'I'm here to see FP Jones please' I said to the officer.

'Place all your belongings in the tray please miss' he replied.

I emptied out my keys, phone, and bag into the tray which was then kept safe behind the desk.

'That way' the officer pointed, showing me which door I should go through.

'Thank you'

I walked through the prison until I reached the room where the prisoners were with their visitors. I entered the room and took a deep breath before heading to an empty table to wait for FP to be brought in. It was barely five minutes later when he was escorted out and over to the table where I was anxiously waiting.

'Crystal? What are you doing here?' he asked as he sat down.

'I had to see you FP, I'm just sorry it took me so long' I apologised.

'You don't need to apologise, I can't imagine what you were going through. Are you taking care of yourself?'

'Of course, I'm fine. So are the Serpents. We're keeping an eye on your kid as well now that he's started classes at Southside High'

'Thank you Crystal' he told me sincerely.

'He's family, we don't abandon our family' I laughed 'How are you doing in here? They treating you right?'

'As well as can be expected. Don't worry, I'll be out of here soon' he reassured me.

'I'll be waiting for you' I promised.

'I can't ask that of you Crystal'

'You don't need to FP. I'm gonna do it regardless'

'I don't deserve you Crystal'

'And yet you're stuck with me'

'I'm completely okay with that'

I smiled softly at his words, wishing he was able to come home already. We continued to talk about a few mundane topics like how I was doing at school, how the Serpents were, how the food he got was. It was almost like normal until the buzzer went and I had to leave.

I checked my phone once I had collected my things, nothing from anyone. That made a first.