Chapter 19

Finally I became too exhausted to keep running back and forth between the destruction and evacuation area, so I made one more run before stopping to get myself taken care of. I was still in quite a bit of shock, and I had gained lots of scrapes, bruises, and gashes on various parts of my body from trying to keep injured people from getting attacked by chitauri and getting hit by falling rubble and debris. At one point I was so exhausted that I had trouble blocking one of the chitauri's blows, and its claws raked through my shoulder! If part of a building hadn't hit it, the girl I was helping and I likely wouldn't have made it out alive! As soon as I got back to the evacuation area I let the EMS take care of the girl while I found somewhere out of the way to rest. Just as I had closed my eyes to calm myself down, I heard someone approach me. They laid a hand on my shoulder and I opened one eye, slightly frustrated that someone was disturbing me.

"I'm sorry but I can't make anymore runs, I am way too exhausted," I said to the figure

"I know," they said, they sounded like a woman, "I just saw that nasty looking gash in your arm and came over to check on you."

Both eyes were open now and I looked at the large amount of blood soaking through my shirt. "Oh, forgot that was there," I said. The woman ignored my comment and got closer to my shoulder to examine it better. Then she took out a pair of scissors from a first aid box nest to here and cut off my sleeve. I looked at her with confusion, but decided not to say anything as this was likely necessary. She took out a pair of alcohol wipes and said, "This may sting a bit so brace yourself." I gulped.

The woman began wiping off the blood on my wound and I hissed in pain, "I thought you said it was only going to sting a bit!"

"That may have been an understatement."

"Yeah no kidding!" Tears were welling up in my eyes as she continued to clean the large gash in my shoulder, and I tried my hardest to hold them in. Finally she was done and she put the pads in a plastic bag as well as her now bloody gloves. She slipped on a new pair and pulled out some gauze pads and a large bandage after throwing away the old materials and began dressing my shoulder. When she was done, she pulled away and I admired her handiwork.

"Thank you for that! I don't know how long I would've gone without realizing how bad that was."

"No problem, and thanks for helping out around here, we really needed it," the woman smiled and handed me a bottle filled with orange liquid. I took it and opened the cap to be greeted with the delightful smell of oranges!"

"Orange juice?" I asked, confused.

"It's to help you with the blood loss. Don't stand up to quickly though, there's only so much it can help."

I thanked her again and she smiled, then turned to go take care of the other victims. I watched her leave, then closed my eyes again. I wasn't going to fall asleep, I just needed to calm my mind down and tune everything out for a bit. A few minutes later, I felt a small form curl up against me and a pair of small arms wrapped around my torso.

"Please don't be dead," I heard a familiar voice say. I opened my eyes and looked down to see little Robin curled up by my side. I closed my eyes again and wrapped an arm around him, "Not dead, just tired."

"How are you feeling?" another voice asked. I opened my eyes again and saw Robin's mom, Meisha Fletcher, standing in front of me.

"Exhausted, I think I ran around to much," I said, half joking.

"Yeah, I'll say, but I don't think there's a single person here who isn't thankful."

I hummed in response and leaned my head back against the wall I was sitting by.

"What happened to your shoulder?" Meisha asked.

"Alien scratched it. Thankfully the girl I was helping and I got away by the skin of our teeth."

We talked for a while more and she was thankful that I had made it out okay. Someone came over eventually and told her that is was time for her and Robin to evacuate. Meisha looked at me with concern and said, "What about you? Aren't you leaving?"

I sighed and got up with a bit of difficulty, "Nope, I'm afraid not. I have to help some....friends with keeping the attack under control. Well, not really helping them but getting people out of the way and to safety. They want as many civilians as possible out of harm's way."

She shook her head and said, "You all are so brave and selfless. Please be careful miss...?"

"(L/n). (Y/n) (l/n)."

"Okay. Please be careful (y/n)!"

"Will do ma'am!" I playfully saluted and she grinned, then picked up Robin and followed the evacuation officer away. I hoped they would be safe! I didn't have much time to worry about them though, as another wave of Loki's army spilled through the large whole in the sky.

"Are you kidding me Loki?" I said under my breath, then ran off to go help as many people as I could. I hadn't seen that Barton man in hours, and I hoped he was alright! He seemed like a cool guy. Don't know how he was going to keep himself safe with only a bow and a few arrows, but he seemed pretty damn skilled! I hadn't seen Loki either. What the hell was he doing now?! Maybe he had gotten captured? Probably not, as the chitauri were still invading. God I just wanted all of this to be over. It'd be better if it were a nightmare, but after all of this there was no way that was possible.

Suddenly a roar echoed through the street and I stopped dead in my tracks as a huge humanoid creature launched itself overhead. It was green and about twice the size of a man, with huge over sized muscles! Then it occurred to me, Banner was able to turn into something that matched the description of the thing that had just leapt over me.

"Dr. Banner?" I called out to it. It turned around and almost looked as if it smiled at me! It was him! I waved at him and he turned and resumed his rampage, and disappeared out of sight. "Well, that explains a lot," I said to myself, then turned and began looking for more victims. Seeing none in the area, I turned to began searching another. Still no one. Maybe everyone had gotten out! Perfect, that meant my job was done. Just as I turned to leave and join the rest of the evacuation teams, something flew over me. I looked up and saw Tony Stark flying towards the portal with something large and torpedo shaped in his grip. A nuke.

"Oh my god," I said, my eyes wide and full of fear. What the hell was he doing? He flew up and nearly his his tower, but just barely missed. Instead, he kept flying up, higher and higher until he reached......

Oh no...