Chapter 2

A few days later

Finally, after days of waiting for everything to be ready, it was time for me to begin my job. SHIELD had sent a private jet to the airport for me to bring me over to one of their new compounds. It looked like a large aircraft carrier, but from what I had heard from a couple coworkers, it was so much more than that! SHIELD called it the Helicarrier, and used it as a top secret way to transport terrorists they caught, as well as weapons. Tony Stark had helped design it, so I wasn't surprised at how advanced its technology was.

My plane landed a few hours later, I walked down the stairs and onto the runway of the Helicarrier. Even though I had heard about the aircraft before, and seeing it in person made it all the more amazing. It was still on the water, and I couldn't wait for it to take off! "Hey Ms. (l/n)!" someone called me. I turned around and was met by Captain Steve Rogers and an intimidating looking woman with curly red hair.
"Captain Rogers! It's good to see you again, especially under better circumstances," I said cheerfully. "You too," the tall blonde man said, shaking my hand.
"This is Natasha Romanoff." The woman stepped forward and smiled. We shook hands and I said, "The name's (y/n) (l/n), it's a pleasure to meet you ma'am!"
"It's a pleasure to meet you too," she said. She was beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Her voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't place where I had heard it!
"Aren't you the kid that tried to stand up to Loki?'
"Uh, yeah. Not my smartest move," I laughed sheepishly, turning red.
"Not a very smart one, but a brave one for sure. You got guts!"
"Oh! Thank you!"
Then it hit me, she was the woman in the Quinjet!
"Hey weren't you piloting the Quinjet?"
"Yes I was!"
Before I could thank her and Steve for saving me, another plane landed. Natasha smiled and walked over to it as a small man with glasses and curly salt and pepper hair came out, looking around in awe. Steve walked up to him and said, "Dr. Banner!"
The man turned around and shook his hand, "Oh yeah, hi! They told me you'd be coming."
"Word is you can find the cube!"
Dr. Banner nodded. "Is that the only word about me?"
"That's the only word I care about!"
He nodded again and pursed his lips. "Must be strange for you with all this," he gestured to all the people and high-tech planes on the runway.
"Well, this is actually kind of familiar."
Natasha and I joined them at the edge of the platform. "Gentleman, (y/n), you might want to step inside in a minute. It's....gonna get a little hard to breathe."
I looked at her, a grin forming on my lips. A siren went off and a loud whirring sound filled the air as people started running around.
"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked, walking closer to the edge of the Helicarrier. Dr. Banner joined him and grinned cynically, "Really," he said, "they want me in a submerged pressurized metal container?"
I looked at him confused but instead of giving me an explanation he just shook his head and looked away. We gazed over the side of the runway as large fans rose out of the water, lifting the Helicarrier out of the water and into the air. Dr. Banner scowled and shouted over the loud whirring, "Oh no this is much worse!"