Chapter 18

I screamed as I fell over the broken balcony, and my hands flew out to grab on to something, anything. They managed to grasp a broken pole sticking out of the concrete and I held on for dear life. Thor an Loki were fighting harder than ever, and the Quinjet flew around us, smoking and spewing flames as it spun out of control. More than once I feared that it would hit me! Finally it was gone, but I was still dangling over a drop that would certainly kill me, and the two brothers were too busy to pay any attention to me. I tried to pull myself up, but found it was nearly impossible.

"Okay," I said, "If I get out of this alive, I promise I'll start going to the gym more!"

Above me, Thor and Loki had seemingly stopped their fighting briefly, and I could hear Thor asking his brother if this was what he wanted. "Look at this," he said angrily, "Look around you! You think this madness will end with your rule?"

I had managed to pull myself up a bit by now, and lay with my chest just barely above the floor as I watched Loki look around at all of the destruction. Even from my view, I could see his eyes flashing wildly between blue and green, and I was surprised Thor didn't notice.

"It's too late," Loki hissed at his brother, "It's too late to stop it."

"No, we can! Together." Loki looked at his brother with mock sympathy, and his eyes settled on blue.

"Loki no!" I cried out, but it was too late. He stabbed Thor and sneered, "Sentiment." Thor got back up and they began fighting again. I tried to pull myself up more, but instead I felt myself slipping back off the edge. I clawed feverishly at the floor around me to try to gain some friction, but it was useless. I looked back up to try to get one of the brothers' attention, but what I saw instead made my heart drop. Thor threw Loki onto the ground, then Loki rolled off the side of the building.

"LOKI!" I screamed. Thor's head whipped to face me, and his eyes widened as he saw me begin slipping backwards again. I clawed at the ground again as Thor ran to my aid, but as all things today it seemed, it was too late as I slipped over the edge. My stomach dropped as I fell and I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing for impact. Impact came, but not nearly as hard or as painful as I had imagined. In fact, I could feel a pair of arms wrapped around me. I opened my eyes and came face to face with a horrifying creature!

It's face resembled a skull, but with more grotesque features and small, evil looking eyes. The thing hissed at me and I screamed as I clung tighter to whomever was holding me.

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" I shrieked.

"A chitauri," a familiar voice answered. My eyes widened and I whipped around to face the person holding me. LOKI.

"YOU!"

"Hello (y/n)."

I didn't know whether or not to be absolutely thrilled that he was alive, or to throw him off of whatever flying machine we were on.

"You nearly sent me into cardiac arrest by pulling that stunt! WHILE I WAS DANGLING ABOVE NEW YORK NO LESS!"

"Many apologies my dear, I promise I'll try not to scare you like that again!"

I looked up at him and met his eyes. Blue. Damn! At least he didn't seem to want me dead like he did everyone else.

"Loki please put me back on the ground."

"It's too dangerous down there!"

"Please!"

He rolled his eyes and the chitauri aimed us down. We landed in a quieter area and Loki helped me off. My legs turned to jelly as soon as they touched the ground, however, and I would have collapsed if Loki hadn't caught me. He sat me down gently and checked over my face.