Strong or Stubborn?

You went upstairs to pack your suitcase with the stuff you left at the house instead of taking to Kat's. Tears still pouring. Colby was talking to your aunt Stephanie, Sam was booking your flight, and Kat was grabbing everyone lunch and filling Colby's car up with gas to take you to the airport. You hear
Colby yell at Sam.
Colby: "Make that two tickets Sam! Charge both to me."
You finish packing, too lost in thought to compute what he just requested. You head downstairs to Colby, who was still on the phone with Stephanie.
Colby mouthed, "Do you want to talk to her?"
You nod your head as he wipes a tear from your face.
Colby into the phone, "So, Y/N is right here, she's wanting to talk to you." He pauses and smirks. "Oh, I will. I promise. Here she is."
You sniffle.
You grab the phone.
Colby wraps his arms around you from the back as you talk to your aunt.

You: "Hey Stephanie."
Stephanie: "Hi, Sweetie. Colby's told me all about the change in plans. There's no need to worry about us, just get back to West Virginia. Have you heard anymore since talking to Justin?"
You: "No. I texted Jenna to ask if she needed anything. She simply replied, prayers."
Stephanie: "Well we can definitely do that." She pauses. "I also made Colby promise me to go with you."
You smile slightly and turn to face him.
You: "I'm glad you did, I was going to ask him, but now I don't have to."
Stephanie: "I also made him promise me to reschedule that double date."
You sigh. "Sounds good."
Stephanie: "Beau and I love you, Sweetie. Tell the rest of the clan we are praying. Keep us updated. Oh and before I forget, I like this man, keep him around for awhile."
You look up at him.
You: "Trust me, I will."

Time Skip

You landed in Morgantown on Monday morning at 6:20. Justin was meeting you and Colby at Morgantown Municipal Airport and driving you the ten minutes to Ruby Memorial.

You grabbed your bags and found Justin waiting in the parking garage. He got out and hugged you.
You braced for the worst.
You: "How is he?"
Justin: "He's actually doing a little better than expected. The doctors are a little dumbfounded at his progress. He was in surgery last night for about two hours to repair his punctured lung. He has a broken neck, severe concussion, punctured lung, broken collar bone and broken leg."
You flinch, not even being able to imagine the pain.
Justin shakes Colby's hand.
Justin: "Thanks for coming with her, we all didn't want her coming alone."
Colby squeezes your arm, "Not a problem."
They load the luggage into the car as you hop in the passenger side.
They get into the car.
You: "So, how is everyone else?"
Justin glances at you, "They're struggling. Jenna hasn't stopped crying since she got the call from Travis that he had found him."
You: "So how did all of that happen?"
Justin: "Well, Mason wanted to go riding with Kyle after church in the morning. Kyle couldn't go because he needed to meet a friend for lunch, which you should bother him about... It was a girl. Anyway, Mason decided to test out the new gravel trail that links our previous trails, however, he must have not realized the sharpness of the turn and skidded going way too fast. No helmet, which Jenna could kill him herself for that. So Travis and Jenna realized after about two and a half hours that he wasn't back. Jenna started to worry, so Travis went out looking for him in the side by side. He found Mason crumpled against a tree bleeding from what seemed like everywhere. He was still breathing but really shallow. Travis immediately called 9-11 and went to check his pulse. He didn't try to move him, which was brilliant on his part. Most people just do more damage when they move them, especially with neck and head injuries. He then tried to brace him against something and called Jenna. Jenna then ran the mile down to the scene. The paramedics found them after fifteen minutes and called a helicopter. They moved and assessed him and got him here as fast as they could."
You were nauseous listening to the terrifying events. It brought back memories of your mother being pinned in her car after her accident. Justin noticed and reached over grabbing your hand.
Justin: "I need you to breath, Babe. I knew this would bring back bad memories, but we need you right now, you think you can do it?"
He pulled into a parking spot.
You: "Yeah. I need to see them."
Justin looks at Colby. "I want you next to her at all times, you hear me?"
Colby: "Wouldn't want to be anywhere else."
Justin: "Good. If you can't handle this Y/N. Code word?"
You: "Hungry."
Justin: "Sounds good. Let's do this."

Time Skip

You had been sitting in the waiting room cradling your other cousins for almost two hours. Finally, you thought you could handle seeing him.
You look at Colby. "Come with me?"
He nodded.

You grab Jenna's hand. She looked up at you.
Jenna: "You ready?" She knew how hard this would be.
You nod.

You and Colby follow Jenna to Mason's room, where Finley and Travis were stationed for now.

Mason was awake but couldn't talk well with all of the scares on his face and the freshly repaired lung. He was sleeping a lot, which was good. You just happened to catch him awake.

He smiled as you approached him. You were trying hard not to have flashbacks and keep your composure. Colby was holding your right hand as you placed your left over Mason's hand on the bed.
You: "Hey, Bud. What did you get yourself into this time?"
He gives you a half smile.
You: "You scared your mom to death, you realize you are going to owe her endless free lawn mowing and countless hours of Scrabble when this is all over?"
Again he just tries to smile.
You raise your hand to a patch of untouched skin on his chin and rub it gently.
You: "Bud, your already a miracle it's probably because your so strong.... or stubborn? Which one do you think?" You chuckle.
He mouths, "Strong. You see these guns."
You laugh and a tear slips down your cheek.
He notices, you start to pull away, disappointed that you got emotional. He stirs and you look back at him.
You: "What?"
It comes out as a breath, but you still hear it.
Mason: "But not as strong as you."
You let more tears fall and lean over to kiss his hand.
His eyes are getting heavy and you decide to leave while you are still somewhat dry eyed.

As soon as you hit the hallway you let the waterfall burst open. Colby just holds you as he rubs your back.