Chapter 8: Now It Begins

"So, who talks first?", Leo says, a playful smirk on his face as he interrupts the silence that had fallen across the room. He stood between Meg and Lit in the foyer of the mansion.

Lit jabs him in the side. "Shut up just once in your life!"

Leo waves his hand, summoning fire. "Running my mouth is all that is preventing you from turning from corn boy to popcorn boy."

Lit places a hand on his sword, "If I didn't have orders to make sure you aren't harmed, I would've left your ass in New Rome!"

"Bring it", Leo scoffs, unrattled.

"Can you two just cut it out?", Meg yells. "Gods! It's like dealing with two toddlers."

Leo looks at her, "And I thought I was short."

Her finger rubs against one of her rings when the threat is interrupted by the foyer doors being opened by two servants.

Lit looks at Leo, "If you want to live, watch what you say."

Leo says nothing, but follows Lit and Meg inside at a distance. Upon entering, Leo realizes the room is very reminiscent of the Senate room in New Rome. Upon a dias at the far side of the room, the three Emperors Leo met in Bunker 9 sat, watching them.

"Well done you three", the middle Emperor claps. Leo notices Meg winces at hearing him clap but still smiles nonetheless. "Especially you"- Nero looks at Leo. "God killer, Leo Valdez."

Leo had experimented with many fake titles over the years, but god killer hadn't been one of them. It sounded legendary, but in Leo's head he just remembers watching Frank dissolve into ashes.

"It's true. You've done us a remarkable favor by eliminating that belligerent, egotistic-", Commodus starts when he's cut off.

"Save it for another millennia Commodus. With Apollo out of the way, we're free to control every form of prophecy that exists. The demigods won't be able to act, which lessens the abilities of the gods. Your revenge is at hand Valdez."

Again, Leo stays silent.

"In keeping up our end of the agreement, you killed Apollo for us, we will support your war against the gods."

He couldn't stay silent any longer. "How do you expect me to do this?" Lit and Meg both stare at Leo, but he doesn't care. "It took sending me to kill Apollo, so far you've shown me nothing that proves you're any different than the Olympians."

Caligula glares at Leo. "We are providing you the full resources at our disposal to help you topple them. Look at your demigod history. Luke Castellan, we helped him. Octavian the augur, we supported him."

"And both of them died", Leo interjects. "They both died, and neither of them achieved their goals. How will this time be any different?"

"They were weak. You killed two gods. Clearly they were undeserving of our support. You however, are a different story", Commodus explains.

Nero stands, "Leo Valdez, we are sending you with our forces to strike your first blow against the Olympians who lay waste to your lives. With Lityerses at your side"- he gestures to Lit, who looks surprised. "You will destroy Camp Half Blood, where the Greek side of the god's flourish."

"With the majority of the more powerful demigods here in California, it will take them too long to reach the east coast. With the camp still reeling from the fight against Gaea, they'll be no match for you."

Leo nods, "Thank you, but how will we be getting to New York in time to attack?"

Caligula smiles in a way that even makes Leo falter for a bit. "Oh, worry not about that. We have arranged an "appropriate means of travel for you Mr. Valdez. One most familiar to you."

Percy POV

"Someone has to go to Camp Half Blood and help them prepare", Percy mulls over.

"I'll go", Annabeth says. Camp Half Blood is my home, and I know how to prep the defenses. Clarisse will need all the help she can get." She turns to Piper, "I could use your help too."

"Of course."

"I'll come with you too", Percy says, holding Annabeth's hand.

"Percy, New Rome needs you. Both you and Jason, now more than ever. Camp Half Blood is in good hands, I promise."

Percy nods, "I know. It's just-"

He doesn't have to say it, everyone is thinking it. Leo would not be an easy enemy. And if what Rachel is saying is true, he'll be well equipped.

"Well no use standing around. "We have to get going", Piper sighs.

Annabeth gives Percy a kiss, while Jason and Piper look at each other.

"Stay safe, please?", Jason says to her, barely a whisper.

"You too", she looks at him.

"Is it possible to charmspeak someone into staying safe?", he laughs lightly.

Piper smiles, "If it were, I doubt it would stop you from trying to jump into danger."

"You're probably right."

Piper and Annabeth leave for New York while Jason and Percy head back to New Rome with Hazel.

The car ride back is a silent one, Hazel having fallen asleep, Percy and Jason have nothing but time to contemplate and think.

"Jason-", Percy starts, but stops. How can he even think to form this question when Jason suddenly hits him with his own.

"Percy, when Luke betrayed you how did you find the strength to fight him?"

He shakes his head, sighing. "I didn't know him as long as-well, I honestly don't know how to answer. I guess, I thought about how everything he was doing was threatening people I love, that made it easier to fight him.

"He killed Frank, Apollo, put Reyna in a coma. He's a danger to us all, but", Jason looks off into the distance. "I don't know if I have it in me to kill him. We all thought he was dead Perce, then he wasn't but now, it's like the Leo we knew really did die that day."

Percy didn't dare share this thought with Jason, but maybe it would've been better if Leo hadn't had the physicians cure with him after all...

He should've died that day. It would've made this easier.

TO BE CONTINUED