Chapter 6: Trial of Guilt Prt 2

Jason's POV

Jason couldn't keep his eyes off of Leo. His former best friend. He couldn't believe this was actually happening. The pounding of a gavel shook him from his thoughts. Well technically the pounding of two gavels. Percy had pounded his as well, unaware that Reyna had already had the same idea. The two Praetors look at each other in shock and feigned annoyance before beginning the proceedings.

"Senators of Rome! Honored Guests! Soldiers of the Twelfth Legion!", Reyna's voice echoed throughout the auditorium. "No one is wondering why we are here today, but for the sake of these proceedings, and the gravity of them, I shall remind you."

Reyna fixes her icy glare on Leo. "We are here because the defendant, Leo Valdez is on trial for crimes committed against New Rome and the gods themselves!"

Leo's POV

Leo could feel the stare of everyone in the room but he remained impassive as Reyna began to list his crimes.

"Leo Valdez, hereforth referred to as the defendant, is a prime suspect in the murder of Praetor Frank Zhang, and the witnessed murderer of Lester Papadapolous, the god Apollo in mortal form!" Reyna sits down and Percy takes over.

"The gods wish this to be a speedy trial, however we will not besmirch tradition in the process." Percy turns to Nico. "Witness for the defense, would you like to begin your opening remarks?"

Nico glances at Leo, then the floor. "Praetor I regret I have no opening remarks."

The auditorium filled with gasps but Nico continues. "My defendant has opted to accept his charges and the punishment that follows."

Percy looks at Leo with shock and indignation. Jason had his face hidden by his palm. Reyna looked at Leo with disgust.

"Well this makes our job easier", Reyna says grabbing her gavel to pass judgement. "Does the defendant himself have anything to say on his behalf before we sentence him?"

Leo glanced at the soldier who was on his side, and then at Meg in disguise. He had to buy time...

"Yes I do have something to say."

Reyna sits down and quiets the hall. All attention is on Leo. "You may speak."

"Firstly. I admit, I burned the stick that was linked to Frank Zhang's life, and in doing so, I killed him. I regret having to kill him." Leo turned towards Hazel. "And I'm sorry. I don't expect, nor seek forgiveness, but I just want it known, I'm not a cold blooded murderer. I killed Frank because I had to, not because I wanted to."

The court was abuzz with whispers, Hazel finally had found it in her to look at Leo, albeit with glistening red eyes from crying.

"Order!", Percy called out by hammering his gavel.

Leo smirked to himself, "I'll have a large pepperoni pizza. Side of mozzarella sticks and a large soda."

Reyna stared him down, "Do you think you're funny? Need I remind you you're still on trial and expected to be executed?"

Leo nods but shrugs, "Can't get a last meal? Horrible bed. Wow no rest for the wicked I guess."

A few chuckles echoed through the proceedings before silenced by Reyna.

Jason spoke up however, "So you admit to murdering Frank Zhang. However you have failed to inform us of why. Why would you do such a thing!"

"I did it because I had no choice. That's all I'm saying on the matter."

"What do you have to say regarding your murder of Lester Papadapolous also known as Apollo?"

Leo felt his face reflect his anger. "I don't regret it nor will I ever apologize for it. Apollo deserved to die. He also won't be the last. The gods have used us enough. How many demigods have died for their causes? How many will continue to die for them? Immortals! Who don't even give a damn about their own children. Just march us off to do their orders, and expect us to blindly comply!"

Leo saw that Meg had nodded to him, but he was on a roll. He turned to Nico, "When your sister died, you blamed Percy didn't you? In reality who was it who sent her on that quest?"

Nico's faced paled, but he growled at Leo. "Don't speak on what you don't know about."

"I know your sister died in a bronze giant statue that was created by my father, while on a quest to rescue Artemis who had been kidnapped by Atlas."

Leo turned away from Nico and then stared at Percy. "How many demigods from Camp Half Blood did you lose in the war against the Titans? I heard you defended THEIR home, and in the end did they even care? Sure they offered gifts and glory but what to those who died? Mere specks to them! The gods are immortal, WE ARE NOT! Yet you all continue to blindly do whatever they say. When we saved their eternal asses, from the Giants did they come fight with us at Camp Half Blood against Gaea? NO! INSTEAD I DIED TO SAVE YOU ALL! AND THE GODS STILL BROKE THEIR PROMISE AND LET CALYPSO DIE!"

Leo had stood in his chains now, knocking his chair aside. "AND THEY CAN ALL DIE TOO FOR ALL I CARE! ANYONE WHO STANDS FOR THEM WILL BE SWEPT AWAY TOO!"

Reyna stood, calling for a guard to subdue Leo when suddenly all hell broke loose! The pillars behind the Praetor table where Percy and Reyna sat suddenly exploded! Rocks, debris and dust was everywhere! The whole room filled with smoke!

Leo was knocked to the floor by Michael Kahale who pinned him down! "Don't even think about-" Suddenly a golden sword erupted through his chest! The former right hand man of Octavian lay dead, and standing over him was the guard who helped Leo. The guard takes off his mask revealing its- "Aren't you the guy Piper and Jason fought?"

"My name is Lityerses." Lit slashes his sword through Leo's chains. "Now come with us if you want to live." Leo stood in the smoke, glancing around. Nico was visible by his side, unconscious. Through the hazes of smoke, Leo was able to lock eyes with Percy. Percy opened his mouth as if to shout something but Leo used his powers to block his vision with smoke. Him and Lit then ran for the exit, disguising themselves with cloaks with Meg on their tail.

To Be Continued...