61 - The Beach

When my friends visited me and we went on a road trip I soon realized this day would be very memorable. I thought I would never forget it for the rest of my life. And that turned out to be completely right.

It really was an unforgettable day but not for the reasons you might think.

It will probably be better if I just show it to you rather than rant about it.

You can judge for yourself if I was right about that or not.

***

"Oh, thank you, but you really didn't have to do that. I was happy to help you. I wasn't expecting a reward." I cracked a smile when the old lady who I assisted a few moments ago just gave me an apple which I happily accepted and bit into it since it looked remarkably delicious.

"You deserve to get rewarded. That bag was quite heavy. I wouldn't have been able to carry it without your help." She sounded slightly hoarse but I assumed it was because of her old age.

"It really wasn't that heavy..." I wasn't used to hearing this much compliments over a simple act of kindness so I shied away.

"I must be getting really old then..." The old woman chuckled with a raspy voice. "I thought it was as heavy as a rock."

"You look very young for your age..." I tried to comfort her with a sympathetic grin.

"You don't even know how old I am so how can you be so sure about that?" She gave me a suspicious look before laughing it off.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult you in any way..." I replied with a serious facial expression because I wasn't sure if she was actually offended or not.

"I was just joking around." The old lady replied lightheartedly. "You're so gullible!"

"Is that such a bad thing?" I asked without even realizing that I said those words out loud.

"Not necessarily, per se, but I have lived many years in this world and I can assure you that there will be some people who will use that against you. Humans are vicious beings who are capable of committing atrocious cruelties and your trustfulness can be seen as a weakness." She started giving out her intelligence to me. "I'm only telling you this because you were so kind to me. Your selflessness and generosity can be a very powerful tool for you to succeed, just be careful who you trust. Not everyone will appreciate those qualities the way I do. Some may even try to manipulate you into doing something you don't want to."

"You are very wise..." I admitted honestly before remembering the fact that I had stayed here for way longer than I intended to. "Thank you very much for the apple and your advice! I will not forget it. I must leave you now, my friend is probably waiting for me, but it was very nice meeting you."

"It is me who should be thanking you." The old woman stood up to express her good wishes on parting with a farewell. "Peace and blessings to you, child, it is rare to see polite young men like yourself these day. You are always welcome in my house."

"Thanks again for your hospitality. I'll get going then!" I replied warmly before leaving the old lady's place.

Even though a few seconds ago I was quite confident that I wouldn't get lost in this area, after walking for a couple of minutes I had absolutely no idea where I was. Nothing seemed even remotely familiar so I couldn't find my way back to where I was supposed to be.

I sighed and tried to look for something that would lead me towards that bench I was sitting a few moments ago with my friend. But once I realized there was no way I would have been able to do that I decided to go back to that old lady's house and ask her for directions.