33 - Final Show

Harry shrank back against Niall as he walked into the gold embossed doors of the Theater, feeling small in the ocean of red velvet seats and strangers milling around, the large stage looming in front of them all in a grand half-circle. The large room was lavish with its tall pillars, double-decked balconies, decorated walls, and its huge chandelier. It was a lot, and it was intimidating. He didn't know how Louis could act in front of such a big crowd. A shiver ran down his spine as he studied the gathering crowd ahead of them, mostly friends and family members of the students performing in their University's rendition of Romeo and Juliet. He was nervous for Louis, and the constant flutter of butterflies of anticipation wouldn't leave his stomach.

The four boys slid into the ornate velvet chairs, waiting as everyone took their seats.

The theatre was full of people, clusters standing with expensive handbags and programs in one hand, drinks in the other. Harry's leg bobbed up and down with nerves, biting his bottom lip in anticipation.

"Relax," Zayn said, trying to hide a smile as he leaned closer to Harry. "Louis' been preparing for this for a whole semester. He's got this."

"I know," Harry nodded, eyes turning to watch Zayn. He'd truly gone all out; styling his hair, trimming his beard and wearing a suit that was no doubt expensive. "I'm just excited for him, that's all."

Zayn could hear the sincerity in Harry's voice, and the bright glimmer that shone behind his green eyes as he talked about Louis. It was heartwarming. "Speaking of Louis," Zayn said, leaning against Harry's plush armrest. "Sorry to get serious, but we need to talk."

Harry's stomach knotted instantly, but he kept his composure. "About?"

Crossing his arms tightly over his chest, Zayn's leg bounced rhythmically as he spoke. "Do you love him?"

Harry turned to look at him, eyes widening and mouth falling agape. "What?"

"Louis," Zayn said, pointing towards the stage. "Do you love him?"

The curly-haired boy frowned in confusion, feeling his entire body flush crimson. "I—I do."

"Good," Zayn nodded, face blank and amber eyes staring intently at Harry. "So, this the part where I tell you that if you break his heart, I'll break your face or something like that."

The curly-haired boy started to laugh but fell silent and mouth fell agape when Zayn simply stared back at him, serious as ever. "I—Is that, um, are you being serious?"

Amber eyes stared at him for a moment longer before a grin slowly appeared on his face and he shook his head as he laughed. "I'm fucking with you, mate!" He howled, hitting Harry's shoulder. "Your face! That's priceless."

Harry tilted his head to the side, pointing an accusatory finger towards Zayn. "You had me for a second, there."

"I know," Zayn laughed, shaking his head in amusement. "That's what made it even better!"

Harry's cheeks flushed heavily in embarrassment as he cleared his throat and nodded, grabbing at the back of his neck. "Just for the record," he informed, leaning closer to Zayn. "I would never do anything to hurt him."

"I know," the other boy shrugged, and Harry was taken aback.

"You do?"

"Oh, please. Anyone with eyes can see that."

"Is it that obvious?" Harry asked, mouth falling agape and eyebrows shooting up.

"It's disgusting," Zayn rolled his eyes, putting a finger to mock-gag, and Harry leaned over, nudging his side playfully. "But, just so you know. If you hurt him, I will come after you, and I won't play nice."