6 - Night Out

"What do you mean you can't go?" Louis asked, staring at Zayn with a disbelieving stare.

He was in Zayn's room along with Liam, waiting for the others to arrive. Now, both Zayn and Liam had bailed on him, and while Louis wouldn't mind going alone, but it was always more fun to go with someone else who could appreciate and share his enthusiasm on horror movies.

"Sorry," Zayn said for a second time, dark eyes rising in the mirror's reflection t meet Louis'. "I have work on Friday nights."

Louis groaned in frustration, turning to face Liam, a pleading look in his eyes. "Liam?" He tried. "Can't you just take a two hour break to come watch it?"

It seemed reasonable in his mind, but Liam was already shaking his head, looking up from his laptop. "Can't," he replied, jutting out his bottom lip. "My breaks are going to be for sleep and food so I don't die. There's no way I'll finish my paper if I don't work all weekend."

"Damnit," Louis swore. Things weren't looking too hopeful for him. Almost everyone had told him no at the last minute to watch It.

"What's up, lads?" Niall announced, walking into the room with Harry on his heels.

Louis looked over at Niall, sighing in defeat. Niall wasn't that interested in horror movies, but the Irishman was usually up for anything.

"Niall," he said, turning to the blonde where he was flipping through a magazine that he'd found on Zayn's desk. "Please tell me you can still come watch It with me on Friday."

As soon as he'd noticed Niall pursing his lips, he rolled his eyes and flopped down onto Zayn's desk chair. "I'm going home for the weekend," Niall reminded him, tone playfully taunting that Louis had forgotten.

"Fuck, right," he grumbled, tilting his head back before carefully turning his head to see Harry looking at him — lips parting open like he wanted to say something before closing them.

Louis raised an eyebrow in the other boy's direction, watching as Harry seemed to consider his options carefully. He took a hold of his can of beer, taking a swig as he waited for Harry to say whatever excuse he had to not go watch the movie on Friday like they'd initially planned.

"I can go," Harry finally said after a while, seeming unsure of himself.

He nervously licked his lips, waiting for Louis to tell him if he would be allowed to join him, which was beyond dumb. Of course Louis wasn't going to say no, even if them going together to the movies was going to cause endless teasing.

There was a slight moment of hesitation afterward, both young men staring at each other. Harry started fidgeting with the silver pendant of his necklace, almost as if the nervous gesture was going to take back his words from the room.

"Didn't you have assignments for Monday?" Louis asked, furrowing his brows as he remembered what the curly-haired boy had told them back at the park. "You said—"

Harry tilted his head from side to side. "Sort of. I mean, I—I have some readings to do," Harry said, biting his bottom lip anxiously. "But, I can still come."

Louis nodded, a pleased feeling settling in his gut. "Okay, cool," Louis agreed, releasing a sigh of relief. "It's at eight on Friday."

Harry's lips stretched into a large grin, like Louis had just given him the greatest present he'd ever received. He nodded once, but his green eyes were still on him, warm and calculating at the same time. He said nothing, did nothing, simply sat and watched Louis for a moment.

Louis' breath caught in his throat, not because he was shy, but because he'd never been stared in that way, so intently before. Harry's gaze was heavy, warm and calculating, almost as if he could read Louis just from looking at him.