"22

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀DAJON RAN FULL SPEED down the paint chipped road as Dyce followed close behind. Dajon threw three rocks in front of his small figure as it skipped across the ground, stopping at the fifth block. One foot of his hopped in the first block before his legs outstretched to the side, landing his feet into the following two blocks. He rotated his body backwards, adding his own twist to the game of hopscotch before he ended it at where his rocks piled up. "Yeah! Top that, I bet you can't." His young voice exclaimed beneath the darkening blue sky. Dyce shook his rocks in his hands and rolled them out across the smearing chalk figures. He leaped forward with additional dances between as his rocks had gotten farther than those of Dajon. He bounced past him, the golden angel chain smacking against his chest as he did.

Dajon shook his head as he threw his hand out, shooing him away. Dyce flexed his skinny arms as if he had any muscles. He grinned and chanted, "Yeah." His good friend scoffed as they started walking down the street. "Whatever, you got lucky." Dyce walked alongside of him before replying, "That's not luck, that's skill. I want them barbecue chicken nuggets your big uncle be makin'. Those would hit the spot." His hand caresses his stomach as his head nods forward in a flashback of the flavor. Dajon bobbed his head in understanding just as they'd reach the BBQ joint his uncle owned, Jimmy's. Dajon left Dyce waiting there as he jogged to the back of the building and kneeled at the doormat. He lifted in hopes of the door's key but had no luck. His eyes scanned from each side, wondering where it could've gone to.

Latrell kept his hoodie along the top of his head as his hands were slid inside his matching jogger pants. His watch made the pocket a tighter fit around his wrist. His mind was weighed down with thoughts. He'd took a walk for the fresh air to rejuvenate him and help clear his mind. He thought about how the next few months of his life was going to change completely. He wondered how much longer this laundering would take before him and the guys returned to their regular way of income. He'd need it especially after his splurging lately. He licked over his lips just as each streetlight pole twinkled on in a row, leaving the one towards the end flickering from it's shortage. His eyes met the figure of Dyce, furrowing his eyebrows. "Aye, Dyce."

Dajon flinched from Latrell's yelling as he creeped around the corner, eyeing the two. He glanced up at the sky and saw how dark it was becoming and quickly. He expected to get in trouble with aunt not coming home once the streetlights were on, shivering at the pain of his uncle's leather brown belt she'd use. He were their responsibility for the few weeks he was to stay with them, his actual mom being his uncle's sister. "What you doing out here?" Latrell asked, giving the young male a handshake as Dyce shook his head in disagreement. "Nah, I'm with a friend but he ran off for something. He's coming back." Latrell nodded in understanding before continuing to talk in a monotone.

"Y'all need to get on in the house somewhere. Too late for y'all to be out here playing." Dajon turned his head to the side, spotting a car without it's headlights on creeping up out of the shadows of the night along the street. His eyebrows first furrowed in confusion before lifted high in surprise as two guns emerged from the open windows. His heart rate sped up as he remain hidden behind the facility. Right at the last moment, Latrell turned around in shock. He circled around rapidly, fixing to push Dyce to run but concluded it was no time and wrapped his arms around him instead. Dyce screamed as Latrell held him tightly to the sidewalk and the gunshots ranged out. Dajon gasped, putting his back against the bricks and stared off in the distance with widen, glossy eyes.

He peeped around the other edge, shuttering uncontrollably as he got a look at the backseat shooter. His skin was light, hair was curly, and lips were full just from what he could see under the streetlight. He noticed a tattoo on his open forearm but they'd sped off at the last moment before his young mind could register anything else. The clouds swayed across the sky just as he made his way over to the shot duo. Tears fell down his chubby cheeks, looking down in their faces. The older guy he didn't know laid completely still, three holes drilled in his back and wine shade blood oozed from them. The heavy breathing caught his attention though as he looked at Dyce who eyes were still wide open. His lips quivered as he struggled to keep his breath and his eyes leaked in the direction of his ears.