Merida

Sorry for the wait. Started the other story and kind of burned out on this one. xD I'm back for a minute though.

       Merida's unruly fiery curls blew in the wind as she rode on her horse through the woods. She aimed her bow and shot arrows at any targets she passed.

     Ever since she could walk, she's had a bow. Her mother, the queen, disapproved highly saying, "Princesses should not shoot bows and arrows." However, Merida's father disagreed and actually won the argument, allowing Merida to be able to get her very own bow and arrows. While Merida was very happy with the outcome, she was upset that her mother didn't agree with it. 

       After a free day full of adventure, Merida headed home. While they ate dinner, Merida told of her adventures, hoping to somehow please her mother, but the pleasure never came.

      The queen stared at three papers in her hands and excused Merida's brothers from the table. Merida looked at her parents and asked what she had done wrong this time. That's when they told her about her soon to be betrothal and the upcoming activities that would take place.

      "That's not fair," Merida yelled as she stood up and glared at her parents. She did not want to be married, especially to someone she didn't even know. She ran to her room and slammed the door.

      The queen sighed and walked up the stairs to her daughter's room. "Merida, try to understand that this is tradition," her mother said gently, but Merida wanted no part in tradition. She glared at her mother and shook her head defiantly. "It will happen, so you have a few hours to get used to the idea," her mother snapped at her before storming out.

       Merida glared at the door and then went out for a ride. "Why can't she just listen," she asked her horse as she cleaned up his stable. Her horse just neighed at her. "It will not happen, I can promise you that," she added as she blew some of her wild curls from her face.

      "Why can't she just listen and understand," her mother said to her father with a sigh. She couldn't understand why Merida would want to rebel against years of tradition. Sure, Merida had always been a free spirit, but this was going too far. "We all have reservations when we get pulled into this, but it's just the way it is," her mother added as she paced the floor.

      "Give her time," Merida's father said gently as he kissed her cheek. "She'll come around," he added gently, although he didn't really believe his own words.

      Three ships sailed across the sea, each seeking a union with the kingdom of DunBroch.

       Merida's mother tightened the corset on her daughter and then finished dressing her for the upcoming festivities. "I can't breath mother," Merida choked out, but her mother ignored her protests and commented on how lovely she looked. "I can't move either," Merida said as she waddled in a circle.

     Her mother rolled her eyes and said, "Don't be silly. Now come on." She pulled Merida from the room and towards the throne room.

       Merida looked out at her suitors and sighed. This was the best they could come up with? She thought with a sigh. Then her mother announced the news and the competition for Merida's hand, and that's when she got an idea.

       Once the contest took place, Merida waited for the precise moment and then slipped away from her post. She planted her flag into the ground and glared over at her mother. "I am Merida of DunBroch and I will be shooting for my own hand," she stated boldly, causing her mother to glare at her viciously.