Chapter 31

"You don't have to answer me now, give me an answer before my birthday."

The words ran through your mind on a loop as you rolled around in your bed. After Makoto's sudden proposal, you froze, and expected him to say he was joking like he does on the phone. But it was different this time, he was serious.

"There's no reason on Earth for you to say no, you know that. It's good for both our countries." He had said. You couldn't have agreed more. It would be good for the countries and he was the few people who could understand and joke with you. And you knew he would take care of you. Nothing should be preventing you from accepting the proposal. You should give yourself a break from the sadness and the yearning.

The sun was beginning to rise, and there was a knock on the door. "It's me, your Highness." Seokjin answered. Hoseok and Yoongi led him in and followed behind him with trays of food. While they were setting up food at the round table, you went to wash yourself up and stayed in your pj. They were used to seeing you in a much worse state. As you returned to the table, their eyes were on you, their faces gloomy.

"Yes?" you asked, taking a seat beside Yoongi and Seokjin. There was no way you would be third wheeling so early in the morning.

"We heard." Hoseok answered.

"Heard what?" you asked while stuffing your mouth with the steamed bun. Seokjin poured some tea to help you digest.

"The King's proposal to you." It was Yoongi.

You pulled the bun out and dropped it on your plate."Oh."

"Your Highness, we all care very much about your well-being. And as your advisor, I think you should say yes." Seokjin continued. He was also in his sweats and hoodie, so were the other boys. It looked like a group of friends, instead of any employer-employee relationship.

"I agree, Y/N." Yoongi said, "This is your chance at happiness."

"You've worked so hard for the country these past few years and you need other support, like love." Hoseok added, he gave you a soft smile. His boyfriend looked at him in admirations.

"I'm fine, really, I'm okay." you told them in a quiet voice. The bun released steam, you watched as it rises and disappears.

"Don't lie. I've been outside your door every night. I know when you cry, I know when you're hurting, I know when you're not telling us something." Yoongi said, his voice a little bit louder this time.

"Babe." Hoseok whispered, placing a hand on Yoongi's.

"Sorry." said Yoongi. "But you need to tell us things. You didn't talk to anyone after he left and I don't even know if you're okay from that. You went on with your days, you talk to Ha Eun and and the twins so normally and you never bring him up. You can't bottle everything up, Y/N, it's not healthy."

A drop of tear fell on the bun, and it shook the table. "Damn it, Yoongi. Look at what you've done." Seokjin took out a handkerchief and handed it to you.

"No he's right. I'm just running away from all my problems. I thought that if I kept running and pretending that nothing happened, my heart will forget and I'll be able to move on. But I was wrong." The tears came out in continuous streams. "I think when he left, he took a part of me with him. I feel empty and lost. I tell myself that what we had was nothing and I shouldn't dwell on it. But he gave me so much love that I was starting to believe that everything happens for a reason and he is my reason. He never treated me any less than a human being, he saw me for who I wanted to be, he saw me as someone beautiful and someone he wanted to spent the rest of his life with."

"What do you mean by that?" Seokjin asked.

"The night I went to the village in place of Ha Eun, he followed me there. And Makoto married us. I'm a married woman. But when he found out about me, he asked me for the ring back. So in the end, I don't know where I stand. I'm supposed to be mad at him for leaving without saying anything, but I still love him. I know I have a duty to my country, but I want to put my heart first, for once."

"So what do you think you'll do? Keep waiting?" Hoseok asked.

"Maybe. It could be forever, I know. Some things are just worth waiting for."

"How do you know he'll still feel the same way?" Yoongi asked. This time, Hoseok slapped his arm, he grunted but couldn't stay mad at his boyfriend for long.

"I just know. The stars are still burning bright, aren't they?" They all looked at each other and shrugged. Breakfast continued in silence, mostly, Seokjin was practicing some jokes he'll tell to the King's assistant.

Most of the day was spent in preparations for the King's birthday party. He would be the event of the year, according to Makoto himself. He really isn't humble. His brother had been removed from his title was living out his life wasted somewhere in Dubai. It must be lonely for him here by himself, kind of like you back home. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep each other company for the rest of your lives. You shook the thought away as the maid was doing your hair.

The dress was chosen by Taehyung. Magenta to compliment the occasion and to stand out yet matching the cherry blossoms. It was a strapless piece with a fitted skirt, mermaid style. The party would be held outside, in the warm summer breeze. Your hair was pinned up to the side, everything reminded you of that particular night.

The orchestra was placed under a set of trees. With every slight breeze, pinkish petals would flutter down and touch their instruments. It was magical. Guests scattered throughout the gardens, from politicians, to athletes, to singers. But there weren't any reporters there, he really values privacy. Makoto was waiting in the middle, as guests came to greet him. He wore a tailored suit, fitted for a modern king. When he saw you, he left his guests behind and walked up to you. The guys took the cue and stepped away from you two. He took your hand and kissed it gently.

"You look gorgeous, your Highness." he said.

"You don't look too bad yourself, your Majesty." you replied.

"Have you thought about my question?" he asked earnestly.

You sighed. "Yes, Makoto. I know you mean well, and I know you would take great care of me. But my heart is still holding on to the small hope that he would come back to me. So I'm sorry."

Makoto smirked. "I was hoping you would say that." Before you could question him, he walked to the stage that was set with you in his hand and grabbed the microphone. The guests all looked up and applauded. "Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you so much for being here to celebrate a very important day in my life, my birthday. But I would also like to make another announcement." He looked at you and winked. "You're gonna thank me for this." he whispered before returning to the microphone. "I'm happy to announce my engagement to Princess Y/N of Korea."

Just then, you were swept away by a shadow.