Chapter 2

Your palms were sweating as you stood outside the grand doors. Even though you've been in this position once a month for the past two years, the nerves still got to you. After a few minutes, a servant returned from inside to tell you that it was okay to go in.

"He's ready for you." the servant said, he bowed to you and you did the same. It felt strange because he was obviously older than you. He said nothing else, and he had been the same person that greeted you every time you've arrived at this quarter. You don't even know his name. The palace is a lonely place. You realized that soon after you started working here. Ha Eun was always excited to hear about the outside world, you had to constantly apologize for not having better life experiences to tell her. You promised to take her outside on a trip for her 18th birthday, with the king's permission of course.

Speaking of which, when you entered the room, his table was at the end of the path. The windows behind him were high to heaven, the sunlight from behind made him look even more powerful. His hair was neatly combed with some silver streaks, almost like a cool highlight. He wore a soft cardigan, his pen in motion in his grip. He glanced up at you and let out a warm smile.

"Your majesty." you said, lowering your head to pay respect. He gestured for you to come to help him up to move to the sofa. You agreed, not because of obligations, but you always wondered what it's like to have parents to do this with. As you sat across from him, he took out his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"How have you been?" he asked, his voice hoarse from his sickness. "I've been so sick lately that I haven't had time to check in on you."

"Your majesty, please do not worry about me. Your health is most important." you told him. He laughed gaily, stomach puffing up and down.

"I'm getting too old. And I feel like I haven't been able to do much with my life."

"You are being humble. You have accomplished many great things for the country. Establishing health care, free transportation services, more agricultural developments. The list goes on."

"You're flattering me. At every core government, there's bound to be corruption, I can see it now. I've always seen it, actually. I'm quite powerless." He was speaking at a lower volume, perhaps to himself. "The original royal family might have done more. What a shame."

"You have no way of knowing that. They could be terrible people for all we know."

"No, they were pure and kind. Like yourself." he flashed a subtle smile while taking a sip of his tea.

"Pardon?" you asked, expecting him to say more. It seemed like an odd comparison to make.

"What do you know about the Moon family?" he asked, ignoring your question.

"Not much, there aren't many records on them, intentional or not. It was around 15 years ago. I know that when the late King died, his son took over the throne with his wife and young daughter, Byul Yi. But a month after the inauguration, the family disappeared, all their servants died in a fire at the home. I guess the family could have been in the house as well."

"You don't sound confident."

"Well, the remains were never found. And it wouldn't make sense for them to be at the house when they should have been...here." you stopped talking, feeling afraid that you might have said too much and something wrong. The King noticed your reservation.

"Y/N, do not worry. You can tell me what's on your mind."

"I'm wondering why you care about my opinion when it comes to this subject. There are a few people who suspected you of the incident- my apologies, your Majesty."

"Don't be. I've heard that plenty of times. And I know you don't believe that otherwise, you wouldn't have agreed to tutor the princess. I appreciate your thoughts because you are an important person, not just to the princess, but also to the country." Before you could ask any more questions, the queen entered, in her hand a tray with a cup centered. You stood up to bow her.

"Honey, your brother brought back some more medicine for you." she told him. She took her natural place beside him and handed him the cup. He smiled at her before drinking it to completion.

"Ah Daehan, I'm so lucky that he's my hyung." the King told his wife. She watched her husband with a worried expression. You felt like you were invading the moment, so you showed yourself out.

"Oh, Y/N." the queen called out, it made you stop in your track.

"Yes, your Highness?" you answered. You've never felt like a servant to either of them. They've always been so nice to you, almost treating you like a close relative. The only person that had anything against you was Daehan, the prime minister. He was uncertain why the King had chosen you as the princess's tutor and not well-known scholars. When the King took place, Daehan became his right-hand man. You've heard rumors that he's the puppetmaster. Maybe that's the corruption the King was talking about. You focused back on the queen, her short curls framed her small face.

"The twins just got here. They're calling for you." she said. Once you got out of the room, you let out a big groan. It wasn't that you weren't happy that the twins are here since it meant that Ha Eun would have some companies. And their mother passed away just recently, they need human interactions aside from each other. But at the same time, they always teased you, not to the point of harassment but it was enough to annoy you.

"Is everything alright?" asked a voice. You turned to the side and felt your face blushing. Namjoon wore a simple shirt with khakis, his reading glasses still on and a book in his hand. Nonetheless, his princely aura was still radiating. Your words got caught up in your throat for a second and he took a step closer, not helping the situation. Anyone would get starstruck if they see him. But there's something so much more about him. Human.

"Oh, nothing. I have to go see the Princess and the twins now." you admitted. He gave you a look as if he understood the situation exactly.

"I'm very sorry about the circumstance." he laughed, "I would definitely accompany you if I didn't have to meet with appa." What he said made your heart flutter. This isn't new, the feeling and his kindness towards you. Like his parents, he never saw you as anything less than a person. Actually, he doesn't see any of his servants that way. He'll be a great King one day. But you realized that there's a lot you don't know about him. You spend most of your time with Ha Eun and him at meetings. When you first started, he would sometimes come to join your lessons, just to check out what you're teaching the princess. He does remember your birthday, well at least the birthday the orphanage gave you.

"Oh, no, I would not want to bother you with this, your Highness." you said. You saw his shoulders dropping slightly.

"Well then, you should get going." He let out an awkward chuckle and went inside. In your mind, you picture your hand reaching out to him. But that will never happen.