1.

It was a cold December day in Chicago, Christmas was three days ago so all the kids were outside playing with their new toys in the white winter snow. Adryian and her older brother, Bj walked back to their neighborhood-parkway garden homes from a local hot chocolate stand.

" So what you gone do Adryian ? " Bj asked looking around

Adryian raised her eyebrow and looked up at him " Whatchu' talking bout ? " she replied, confused.

" Nigga you bout to graduate soon, what's yo' plan " He asked " ion' wanna' see you in these streets like these other shorty's "

" I got accepted into a school in Atlanta " she said looking down at the ground as they walked, she hadn't told anybody because Atlanta was far and she knew her family and close friends would be sad.

" Word ? Why you ain't tell me ? " Bj said excitedly, he had a huge grin on his face

She shrugged her shoulders " I haven't told anybody yet "

" I'm proud of you pooh bear " Bj said playfully pushing her a little, making her laugh. " I'm happy you doing some with yo' life. Don't fuck up like me, India and Jessika. "

Adryian didn't think her older siblings were fuck up's but everyone did put her on a higher pedestal because Adryian was the first in her family to be graduating from highschool and accepted into a college, she was smart and that's why her mother adored her. She was the baby and everybody spoiled her.

" Shut up. You don't need school to be successful " she replied

" That's what momma think " Bj replied shaking his head

Adryian walked up the stairs and to their apartment, she realized Bj wasn't behind her and turned around " You not coming in ? " she asked with a confused look on her face

" Nah, tell momma I gotta' go do something. I'll be back before dinner " He replied from the bottom of the stairs

Adryian felt uneasy. " You know she gone be mad at you, right ? "

" Man ima' be right back. I promise " he said flashing that smile of his that everybody loved

" Alright. Stay safe " she said " I love you "

" I love you too pooh bear " he smiled. He watched her walk inside the house before walking away

A few hours later

Adryian woke up from her sleep to the police lights coming through her bed room window. She checked the time and it was almost midnight. This was normal in her neighborhood so she didn't think anything of it. she rolled over and tried her best to fall back asleep

" Pooh bear " Her older sister India said coming into her and bj's room.

" What ? " Adryian replied lowly, sitting up and squinting, her eyes sensitive to the light

" You seen bj ? Momma said he ain't come home and she worried " India said " it's late "

This was normal, Bj was always out in the streets " He probably just out with his boy's, he'll be home soon watch " she said trying to lay back down. " Why the police outside ? "

" You didn't hear them gun shots earlier ? " India asked walking up to the window and looking outside.

Adryian's eyes widened. She quickly got out of her bed and put on a hoodie and sweat pants

" Where you going ? " India asked

" To look for bj " Adryian said, she kneeled down and pulled a shoe box from under her bed. She opened it and grabbed the gun bj had given her, tucked it in her waist band and left. India followed right behind her grabbing a coat and putting it on.