Chapter X

Katara looked out the window, "Wow, it's really pouring out there, isn't it? Do you think it'll stop soon?"

"Yeah, it seems like it. Don't worry, even with the rain, I can teach Aang. That is..." Zuko faltered, "if Aang is still willing to learn from me."

Katara smirked, "Of course he is. At least, after I have a talk with him." 

Zuko's smile wavered for a split second, his breath hitching as he tried to find the courage to say, "Katara-" he started a bit harshly, "Katara, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Zuko-" Katara started but was quickly interrupted. 

"No, I'm serious, Katara. We've barely known each other as friends, only as enemies, which means there will be hardships down the road for certain." His face was still flushed.

Katara only smiled as she slowly raised her cold hand to place his on his warm cheek, cupping his face as he relaxed his head into her hand. Her thumb gently caressed his cheek, "Zuko, don't stress about the little details. Yes, we will come across bumps in the road, but that doesn't mean we can't sit and talk it out like adults. We'll take it one day at a time, and to answer your question," Katara paused to give him a soft kiss, her lips lingering against his for a short moment, "Yes," she whispered. 

Zuko's eyes fluttered down from her eyes to her lips, his heart pounding in his chest while his lips longed for more. All he wanted to do was lock themselves in this very room forever without outside problems bothering them: no comet, no Fire Lord, no Azula, no war, and, more importantly, no Avatar. Unfortunately, he knew this moment was going to come to an end, and eventually would have to pretend and hide away his true feelings for the only girl who has ever made him realize he has the chance of being loved again. He made an attempt at trying not to stress about the little details and pressed his lips back onto hers, indulging in her sweet taste for however long he could. His hands rode up into her soft brown waves while Katara gently placed both her hands around his wrists, giving in to his passionate kiss. They eventually pulled away from each other to stare into one another's gaze. 

Katara chuckled and playfully rolled her eyes, "Remember, that only happens in private now. That's the last kiss you'll get for today until nightfall. You have to focus on teaching Aang, and just your luck," she nodded her head towards the window that showcased the rain gone and the sun's rays breaking through the dissipating dark clouds, "the rain has stopped," she smiled happily. Zuko never broke away from her eyes, even when she turned to look outside. He wanted to let every second he had of this moment be engraved into his memory. 

She turned her attention back to Zuko to find him lost in her eyes but didn't say a word. She let him continue admiring her as she returned her focus to the outside, a new day ahead of them with clear and sunny skies. She took a step forward, "You'll have time to stare at me later. For now, let's try and get Aang on our side again, yeah?" She looked up at him for an answer. 

Zuko gazed down at her and nodded, "You're right. We shouldn't be wasting time, even though I don't really want to leave." He let out a hefty sigh, shutting his eyes for a brief moment to let reality set in again.

Zuko gave one last look at her before exiting the now brightly lit room and going outside to clear some space for training. On the other hand, Katara went upstairs to convince Aang of a different story. She had to go through Toph and have a heart-to-heart conversation with her brother before figuring out that Aang wasn't in his temporary room. She checked the entire house before going to the final place she figured Aang would run off to. 

Aang was sitting down on the sand by the beach, his legs crossed and his eyes closed in meditation. It wasn't until he heard footsteps approaching him from behind that he lost his concentration and opened his eyes. He flew up to his feet and turned to face the newcomer, "Oh, Katara, it's just you." He solemnly turned away from her to face the water. 

"I thought I would find you here," Katara noted. She went to stand next to him in silence, her hands held behind her as she tried to formulate words in her brain. Aang allowed her to stand beside him, keeping himself preoccupied with doodling in the sand with his staff. A few moments flew by in silence before both teens spoke up in unison, each announcing that they would like to say something to the other. 

"Sorry! You go first," Aang suggested, stepping back to face her entirely. 

"No, no! You said it first; you go first," Katara protested, waving her hands in dismissal. 

Aang bit his lip, thinking of starting his first sentence, "Um, so I've been doing a lot of thinking and... I've come to a conclusion that it's not any of my business who you like or don't like. You can date whoever you want to, regardless of how I might feel, and that's okay. I have to learn to accept that. Katara, you're my friend, and I'd rather stay friends even if it means you are going out with the enemy." 

Katara couldn't help but laugh a little, "Aang, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I appreciate your sacrifice for my happiness, but you have it all wrong. I'm telling you right now; nothing happened between Zuko and me last night. He was trying to do something good by helping me and nothing more. If you consider me one of your closest friends, trust me, please." Katara tried to convince herself that it wasn't all a lie. She did tell the truth about last night and tried to keep the topic of her feelings for the fire bender far, far away from this conversation. She hated lying to Aang but kept reassuring herself that nothing she said to him was a lie at all. Her heart raced in her chest, hoping Aang wouldn't go snooping for any more information on her and Zuko's relationship as friends or lovers. 

Aang let out a sigh of relief, "Katara, I do trust you. I just let my emotions get the best of me, knowing I shouldn't have. I'm sorry for ruining breakfast, and I'm sorry for getting so upset at you." He fidgeted with his staff, twirling it around in the sand to make a hole. 

Katara felt a weight lift off her shoulders and went in to hug him, "I know, Aang. I forgive you." She pulled away, her hands placed on his shoulders, "Are you ready for some good training today? The day couldn't get any more perfect than this." She quickly tried to start a new conversation to leave the old one behind. 

Aang nodded happily, "Yes! I was practicing a bit out here after breakfast, and I think I'm ready to learn the next step. Zuko's a really good teacher, even though he gets too worked up sometimes," he grinned sheepishly as he remembered the one time Aang got on Zuko's nerves so much that Zuko sent a fire blast that burned the clothes off Aang's back, leaving him standing in his underwear. 

Katara laughed, knowing all too well what happened last time. "Come on. I think Zuko is already out back waiting for you. I'll come with and maybe make some drinks for you guys to sip on," she suggested as they started heading back to the house. 

"That would be wonderful," Aang said cheerfully. 

A/N #1: I am SO sorry for the lack of updates. I do still read everyone's comments, and it warms my heart that people are still reading this story. I will try my best to keep updating, and I will give everyone full permission to bully me into posting the next chapter. I already have it started!

A/N #2: I also know that so many people are going through such a hard time right now, and I want you all to know that if you feel alone and need someone to talk to, my messages are open, feel free to leave a message if you need anything. You are never alone