Chapter VI

Azula was ready to strike back, but with her poor choice of action, Mai and Ty lee grabbed hold of the two siblings. Mai pulled Zuko back as Ty Lee made her way to Azula, who had just smacked her away. "Stop it!" Ty Lee shouted, "Both of you! You're acting completely childish!" She gripped her fists in anger, hating it when friends, in this case, family, fight. 

Zuko calmed down almost immediately, and Mai loosened her grip. He pulled his arms away from her and sighed, brushing his shirt clean of sand. "You shouldn't fight." Ty lee started again, "There's no reason for it!" she sat back down, tears forming in her eyes. Azula rolled her eyes, "Oh, Ty Lee, why are you so emotional about this? We're just joking around. Isn't that right, my dear brother?" Zuko remained silent, unable to form the right words to say back to her. 

Mai sat in her original spot and gave out a deep sigh, "I thought you were over this, Zuko," she looked up at him, the concern easily seen in her eyes as the fire's light lit her face up.

Zuko met her gaze, but as soon as he saw the pain in her eyes, he tore his eyes away from her. "I am," he muttered under his breath as he sat back down. Azula eyed him carefully before sitting down herself. "Yeah, right." Mai scoffed. 

"Where are you staying?" Azula asked as if nothing had just happened between them. Zuko snapped his head toward her. He couldn't say the house, so he said the first thing that came to his mind, "Nowhere. I just got here," he lied.

"You're lying," she said flatly.

Zuko's face paled. "Am not. How would you know? You got here at the same- "

She cut him off by laughing, "I'm kidding! Lighten up, Zu Zu." She leaned back against her arms.

Zuko eyed her, "Excuse me?" He looked confused, "You? Make a joke?" He scoffed, "I must be dreaming." 

Ty lee laughed but covered her mouth quickly.  

Azula stared at him, "I can be funny," she argued. "I make jokes all the time."

Zuko scoffed," Yeah. Cruel jokes." He mumbled, gazing into the fire.

Mai stared at the two siblings," He has a point, Azula."

"No one asked you, Mai!" Azula snapped. She crossed her arms and sighed," So, what brings you to the island, older brother? Aren't you supposed to be... you know... banished?" She laughed, continuing to mess with him, "Oh man, just wait until I tell Father." 

Zuko, lost in thought as he focused more on how he would lie to his sister than what she was saying, stared into the roaring fire silently. When Ty lee snapped her fingers in his face three times, he blinked back to reality," What?" He looked up at the three girls. 

Azula rolled her eyes," Whatever. It doesn't matter," she sighed, upset her torment was unsuccessful. "You seem troubled, Zuko. What's going on in that mind of yours?" She smirked.

They could have had a staring contest for the next few years by the way they eyed each other. "Nothing that concerns you, sister," Zuko said first. He ran his hand through his hair and smirked at the thought. Azula narrowed her eyes at him," What's that supposed to mean, Zu Zu?"

He shrugged," I suppose you'll have to find out later." His smile faded, and a serious look fell upon his face," Anyway. Any news on the whereabouts of the Avatar?"

Azula raised an eyebrow," You were taken out by the water tribe girl the last time we saw each other. Shouldn't you know where he is?" She tapped her fingers on the wooden log she sat on.

Zuko's heart skipped a beat," Yes. True," he started," But I ran after we reached the surface." He held his breath for her reply.

Azula sighed as a laugh escaped her lips, "Of course. Why am I not surprised? You would run. You always do."