Chapter I

Katara stopped crying and looked back at the banished Prince before her, wiping away her tears.

Zuko looked away from her. Instead, he stared at a cluster of massive, green crystals around their prison cave. "You're not the only one who lost someone they loved."

Katara felt her heart drop, and she immediately felt guilty. She knew he had a rough upbringing but never expected him to open up to her about it. "I'm sorry," she finally said. She felt sorry for him, knowing all too well the feelings that come with remembering a sad past. "Who was it?" She asked cautiously, leaning forward from her seat across from him.

Zuko shrugged, maintaining his gaze away from her deep blue stare. He was sitting on a large rock, both arms resting lazily on his knees as he leaned forward to stare at the empty space on the floor between his legs. He played with the thought in his head about telling her. He would've usually told her to buzz off and mind her business, but he felt powerless right now. "My mom."

Katara felt her breath hitch in her throat. Her once angry gaze was now soft and sympathetic. "I didn't know," she mumbled softly. She didn't want to dwell on depressing thoughts if they would be stuck here together for a while. She stood up and walked over to stand in front of him. She put her hand out, "I'm sorry I yelled at you," she apologized.

Zuko stared at her gesture, debating if he should accept her truce. He finally sighed in annoyance, looking back at his feet, "It doesn't matter."

Katara huffed a sigh and pushed her hand further into him, "Take my hand, you idiot."

Zuko glanced up at her, an eyebrow raised. He swallowed his pride and took her hand, which she tugged and made him stand up. "What are you doing?" he sighed.

"Just getting some feelings out," Katara replied, releasing his hand and standing directly in front of him.

"Why? I already know how you feel." Zuko interjected, his eyes narrowing, "You hate me. You think I'm some monster that destroys everything it touches. You blame me for many things, and even if I apologize, you would never forgive me."

"Look!" Katara stopped him, "Yes. You've done some terrible things to my friends and me, and I don't know if I can trust you. The problem is that whenever I would imagine the face of the enemy-" she paused, "I would see your face." She looked down at her hands, feeling ashamed.

Zuko stared at her, unconsciously placing his hand on the scar on his left eye, and turned away. "My face. Right."

"I'm sorry, Zuko. You've tormented my friends, attacked my village, and stolen my necklace to get to Aang. It's not easy to forget those things just because you say you're good now."

The fire prince looked away and bit the inside of his cheeks, aware that he had done wrong. He walked toward a large, glowing crystal and sat on it. "I understand. I used to think that this scar marked me, The mark of the banished Prince, cursed to chase the Avatar forever. But lately, I've realized I'm free to determine my own destiny, even if I'll never be free of my mark."

Katara gasped and smacked her forehead with the palm of her hand. Her eyes shut at the realization of something. She pulled out a tiny blue and silver vial with a moon crescent on the tip of the lid, filled with not your typical kind of water, from around her neck. "Maybe you could be free of it."

Zuko's head snapped up, his eyes narrowed, "What did you just say?"

"I have healing abilities!" She said a little too proudly.

Zuko scoffed, turning his attention away from her once more, "This is a scar. It can't be healed." He knew it was hopeless to think such a thing could happen. And even if there were, he wouldn't be deserving of it.