Chapter XIV

The sun hung high in the sky as the blind earth bender strode confidently into town. She had a mischievous glint in her eyes and a sly smile playing on her lips. Toph's reputation as a master manipulator and cunning trickster preceded her, and today, she had a grand plan in mind. Her keen senses, honed by years of earth bending, allowed her to navigate the bustling streets effortlessly. With a determined stride, she made her way toward the heart of the town, ready to take on the crooks and cheat them out of their ill-gotten gains. Aang, Sokka, and Toph formed an unstoppable team, going from stalls to alleyways, exposing scams and outwitting the swindlers. Using her blindness as leverage, Toph played the young and naive to manipulate her target just enough to let down their guard. 

"But I am just an innocent, blind little girl. How can I play if I can't see?" Toph asked naively as she helplessly waved her hands before her, purposefully knocking over the shells that hid the pebble needed to win. 

The older man in front of her laughed, a sly smirk tugging the corner of his lips, "You don't need to see to be lucky. Select the shell you think the pebble will be under, and if you get it right, you win."

Toph placed a finger on her lips as if in thought, "Sounds easy enough. Okay, I'm in!" She grinned and put a silver piece on the wooden box. 

On cue, the scam artist showed the rock under the shell in the middle and started moving them around. He skillfully tossed one rock from his sleeves into each of the two empty shells. Toph immediately sensed this and smiled slyly. When he stopped, Toph pointed to the one on her left, and he lifted it to reveal the rock. He raised an eyebrow at her and placed two silver pieces on the table, "Lucky guess." 

Aang grinned, "Nice, Toph!"

"Would you care to make the game a little more interesting?" The scammer asked, rubbing his chin in thought. 

"More interesting?" Toph asked, feigning curiosity, "How?" 

"Well, let's say you toss in your friend's fine weapon there," he pointed at Sokka's metal boomerang, "then I'll put up twenty silver pieces against it, and that's more interesting," he suggested, placing a small money bag on the table. 

"I'll do it for forty pieces!" Toph grinned, snatching Sokka's boomerang from him and placing it on the table for the bet. 

Sokka's mouth hung in protest, "What! Toph, you can't be serious!" He only stepped forward once before Suki grabbed his arm and held him in place. He turned to look at her, who just shook her head. Sokka quieted down and pouted in the back as he watched Toph perform. 

"Forty pieces it is," the scammer agreed, a smirk plastered on his face as he placed another bag of coins on the table with the rest of the pile. 

The scam artist moved the first two rocks into his sleeves as the game began. Toph sensed this and tried her best to hide her sly smile again. The crook attempted to do the same with the third rock, but Toph inconspicuously clutched her fist, causing the rock to move back underneath the shell, which the scam artist overlooked. When he finished shuffling, Toph smiled and pointed at the shell in the middle.

Thinking he successfully completed his scam, the crook lifted the shell, "Sorry little lady, but-" he cut off his sentence the moment he saw the stupid little rock sitting on the table. 

"I won!" Toph squealed with excitement. Before the scam artist had anything else to say, she snatched the bags of money and Sokka's boomerang and ran for it. Laughter and excitement filled the air as the teens accumulated a fortune, all while reveling in the thrill of their exploits. 

As the moon rose high in the night sky, its gentle glow illuminated the quiet village where Toph, Aang, Sokka, and Suki returned home, their sacks of ill-gotten gold clinking triumphantly with each step. The flickering light reflected an unmistakable mix of pride and mischief in their eyes as they eagerly gathered Katara and Zuko to share their thrilling adventures.

A Lost Love FoundOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara