Chapter II

Toph was arguing with Sokka, angrily hissing back and forth. When Sokka saw Katara and an annoyed-looking prince chatting, he stopped and pushed Toph towards Zuko.

Zuko looked at them curiously, glancing at Katara, who was just as confused. 

Toph sighed deeply, obviously not wanting to do what she was about to, "I'm sorry," she mumbled incoherently.

Sokka pushed her slightly, "Louder, Toph."

She groaned and raised her voice, "Okay, I'm sorry! Jeez, there, I said it! Teenagers are so annoying." She grumbled some things to herself as she desperately tried to climb Appa without anyone's help and finally laid down on the saddle so they couldn't see her anymore.

Zuko rubbed the back of his neck, "Uh, apology accepted?"

"Yeah, whatever..." Toph grumbled with annoyance.

Sokka sighed and clapped his hands together, "Well then, I'm going into town to get food. We'll need it for the trip."

Katara nodded, letting him go by himself for once. She sat beside the giant bison's leg, leaning back in his soft fur. Katara waited for her brother to be entirely out of sight before facing Zuko and narrowing her eyes. 

Zuko noticed the usual stare she gave him when she looked at him and sighed, "What do you want?"

She sat straight and leaned closer to him, "In the cave- " She was cut off by Zuko's hand covering her mouth. 

"We will never speak about what happened in the cave. Do you understand?" Zuko hissed so that the two members sitting on the Giant Bison's Back wouldn't overhear. 

Aang sat up, curious about the hushed whispers from below, and looked down at them from Appa's Back, "Katara?"

Katara roughly pushed Zuko's hand away from her mouth and sighed deeply, "Yeah, Aang?" she asked, never breaking her intense gaze with Zuko.

"We should probably be on our way now. Where's Sokka?" Aang asked, wanting to leave immediately.

"He said he went to get supplies for the trip and should be back in a few minutes."

"Oh, alright," Aang said anxiously before disappearing behind the bison's head.

Katara waited a moment before striking up the conversation again, "Did you really try to protect me, or was that supposed to be some kind of sneaky move to get to ki-"

Once more, Zuko clamped his hand on her mouth, pushing her down onto the grass. He stared at her, "How many times do I have to do this for you to understand?"

Katara intensely stared at him in silence, not moving a muscle. Zuko kept her gaze without breaking it until Katara stuck her tongue out, licking the palm of his hand in an attempt to get rid of him. Zuko shouted in disgust and removed his hand, wiping it on his shirt, "Ew! You nasty little-"

"A simple, kind statement would have sufficed," Katara interrupted.

He sat straight and sighed, "Obviously not, because you really don't know how to shut your mouth."

Katara opened her mouth but couldn't say anything because Sokka came running back with a few bags in his hands, "I'm here!" he muffled through a piece of bread he was eating. He quickly climbed Appa, successfully bringing all the bags with him.

"Finally. Let's go," Katara uttered as she glanced at Zuko. 

On the saddle, Toph scooted over to Sokka and dug through the bags to feel for what Sokka had bought.