CHAPTER VI

Chapter VI (Edited)

The first thing that caught my attention about the new stranger, was his eyes.

A simple term for the colour would have been to call them grey. Yet the distinction somehow fell flat, their depths so much more than a simple, boring shade that brought to mind a slab of stone. No, his eyes were like liquid silver that had been warped – moulded into a polished suit of armour that guarded his emotions and humanity from view.

I would have said his eyes were intense – intimidating were it not for the black framed spectacles that protected us mere mortals from his powerful gaze.

"Nice of you to finally join us Owen." I tore my attention away from the male in front of me, to see Sean smirking at him as he closed the door. The stranger – whom I was guessing had to be, Owen – turned his head and cast Sean an unimpressed look in response, giving me the chance to further analyse him.

He stood slightly taller than Sean and was average in build, with a tapered waist and long legs almost undefinable beneath his sharp grey trousers and stark white shirt. His clothes were tailored, meaning this male was from a wealthy family, something that made me leary of him.

My brows furrowed at the sight of a long piece of silky purple material hanging from the collar of his shirt, but I couldn't deny how it added to his sharp appearance.

Swallowing against the gentle flutter in my stomach, I lifted my gaze back to his face – taking point to keep away from his penetrating eyes. The stranger whilst average in build and height, had a chiselled jawline and defined cheekbones that only added to his aristocratic appearance. His short brown hair was combed away from his face, soft and silky in texture.

Everything about him, from his commanding aura – down to the way he held himself – screamed superiority – and the realisation left a sour taste in my mouth.

He reminded me far too much of my father.

"I did not realise I was on a time limit Healer Green." Owen responded, clearly apathetic as he stared at Sean, who was smirking at the male.

"It's not very polite to keep a lady waiting, I would have thought better of you for that." Sean shook his head, amusement shining in his eyes as he stepped up beside Owen and slapped him on the shoulder.

My eyes widened the action, and I held my breath as I slowly glanced up to see exasperation lining the noble males' features. He lifted a hand, and I froze momentarily, fear rising at the thought of the kind healer being punished for stepping out of line.

A flash of panic consumed me, and before I could clearly think through my next action – I jumped up and placed myself in front of Sean, ignoring the flush of exhaustion that left my limbs shaking.

"P-please, he meant n-no d-disrespect sir!" I cried, slamming my eyes shut when Owen's hand froze, expecting the blow to fall upon me.

The room seemed to hold its breath as I cowered beneath the powerful male, my heart held in a vice as I struggled to draw air into my lungs and hold my panic at bay. Flashes of my stepmother lashing out at me, the pain from her hits making my body flinch as if I was back in the basement, locked in a cell as she tormented me.

But as slow seconds passed, the flashes faded as did the realisation that I felt no pain from a recent blow. Blinking my eyes open slightly, I braced myself for the visual of an angry male. Instead the regal stranger stared down at me – his molten armour absent from his steely gaze as he looked up me in horror.

I fought a flinch as his expression smoothed out – his guard slamming back into place over his eyes as he caught my gaze, and I straightened from my stance – noticing his hands were by his side – no sign of an impending attack tensing his muscles.