CHAPTER IV

Chapter IV (Edited)

Pure unadulterated elation.

It was the only way I could describe the feeling of seeing the sun for the first time since I was a child.

It shone so brightly, like a guiding symbol of hope hovering high up in the vibrant blue sky. Fluffy white clouds floated above me, and the saltiness of the ocean breeze brought a joyous smile to my cracked lips.

Peering over the edge, I was mesmerised by the crashing waves of the ocean, the tones of turquoise, blue and white swirling and colliding in effortless beauty.

The picture before me was simply magnificent, and I drank in the miracle that it was.

"You act as if you've never been outside before." Kota's perplexed voice shattered my euphoria, and I turned to face my chaperone, who stood a few feet to my left. For a moment I marvelled at how the sun highlighted the deep green hues in his eyes. His brown hair seemed richer, and his features more pronounced.

Shaking my head, I forced myself to focus on his question and I froze as I realised what my expression must have looked like to Kota.

I had been right in my initial assessment that he was observant, and I was unsure how to respond without outright lying.

"It has been a long time, is all." I murmured as I turned back to the ocean. Lifting my hand, I pressed my bottom lip with a finger, worried Kota would push for more and unsure if I would answer.

"Sometimes I forget to enjoy the simple beauty around us, it is humbling to see someone take sure enjoyment from it." I startled when his voice came from right beside me, and I peeked out of the corner of my eye to see him staring out across the ocean as he spoke.

Kota looked so relaxed from his perch against the side of the ship, his hands resting gently on the lip, and I couldn't help but follow his example. The tension in my shoulders melted away and I allowed myself to relax in his presence. It was hard to keep my guard up around this kind stranger, and I wasn't sure how to feel about that.

"It can be easy to take things for granted, to forget to enjoy the simple things – but I believe when we need to remember, we will." I whispered, enjoying the peacefulness around us.

When Kota had brought me up to the deck, I had been expecting to see lots of bodies manning the ship, each lost in their important task that kept the ship running smoothly. Instead I had been greeted with a small isolated opening at the rear, where only a few bodies moved around, seeing to their duties.

I realised then, that I had underestimated these strangers – and they indeed thought everything through before taking any risks. I should have known better to think they would take me up to the main deck, where the potential risk was far greater. They had more control in a smaller, quieter setting. Begrudgingly I had to admit, it was smart.

"May I ask, with the risk of sounding insensitive – what had you so upset earlier?" Sighing, I turned around to face Kota, who was watching me from behind his black spectacles. I wondered briefly what he would look like without them on, and realised I was delaying in answering his question.

"I was reminded of something, and-" I hesitated, unsure how much I should say. Kota turned around and leant his hip against the side of the ship, before offering me an encouraging smile. It was the lack of judgement in his eyes, that gave me the courage to trust him, just a little. "It was a bad memory from when I was younger, and I had a monetarily relapse."

I waited with bated breath for him to laugh or mock me, instead he seemed to contemplate something before stepping forward. I froze, unprepared for him lay a gentle hand on my arm.

Tingles erupted from beneath his hand, and I shivered at the sensation.

"I'm sorry for pushing, and if I did anything to upset you earlier. I apologise." His kind words shocked me, and I blinked.

Why was he being so kind to me?

"I... I don't understand." I shook my head, stepping back and Kota was forced to drop his hand back to his side. He tilted his head, closing his eyes for a moment before opening them with a sigh. The confusion that glimmered back at me, led me to believe that Kota was just as puzzled by his reaction as I was.

"Just because you are being detained for questioning, does not mean that anyone has the right to mistreat you. You are still a human Sang, and what would it say of us if we treated you any less." Kota frowned as he spoke, before smiling gently at me as he turned back to look out into the distance.

His words echoed in my mind as I became lost in thought.

These strangers continued to surprise me at every turn, and I felt like I was balancing on my toes around them, ready to fall at any given moment. I was on edge, unsure how to act and feel around them. So far, Kota had been nothing but thoughtful towards me, worrying about how I felt and ensuring I was treated like... a human.

I had only seen this kindness from two people in my life – one being my Mother and the other being Brandon. But even then, the care they had shown me had been fleeting, before I was once against left to the whims of those who would only cause me pain and suffering.

"Thank you." I whispered, hoping those two words could express a gratitude that I feared saying aloud.

"Never thank someone for being considerate Sang, it should be part of human nature to treat others with respect." Kota admonished, and I smiled up at the sun – knowing I should have expected something like that from him.

I was coming to learn that Kota wasn't like others, and he had an inherent kind-heartedness about him – something that was as rare as diamonds, and as such it should be treasured.

Leaning forward, I once more looked down at the churning ocean, flashing of colours beneath the waves catching my attention. The glimmers were distorted creating a kaleidoscope of tones and shades, and I trembled with a longing to join those colours, and swim amongst the water's beasts.

That would be true freedom, and I could almost taste the feeling on my tongue.

Blinking as the water wavered in my vision, I clasped the edge of the ship with a tight knuckled grip. I realised that my trembling wasn't from longing, but in fact was my body shaking with uncontrollably.

Licking my lips, I closed my eyes against the unexpected nausea that threatened to choke me.

Why was it suddenly so cold?

Sweat slicked my brow, and I blinked open my eyes as realisation dawned.

I was getting sicker.

In my momentarily glimpse of happiness, I had forgotten the weakness that pressed against my body, threatening to send me over the edge into oblivion.

Back in the cell, I was mostly resting and had not realised how progressed my illness had become. But as I stood against the rear of the ship, I understood with dawning horror that my body was straining.

"Kota, I-" I didn't get the chance to see if Kota heard my plea, as black spots danced in my vision, absorbing the beautiful sight of the world.

My last conscious thought was of the miracle Kota had gifted me with, before sweet darkness consumed me.

__________

A/N: Two updates in two days, woo!

Thank you for all the kind votes and comments on the last chapter! It really made my day to see such kind and encouraging words - and for that I wanted to give you all another update!

I know this chapter is short, but that's because... SURPRISE... The next Chapter is an A-Report.

Exciting times!

...Also, who shall Sang meet next?

So far she has met: Kota, Nathan, Sean, Brandon (obviously xD) - she briefly met Gabriel, North and Corey (but that doesn't count). Let me know your thoughts! The G.B character with the most mentions will be next!