CHAPTER X

Chapter X

"Gabriel." I waited until he turned to face me and stepped up towards him "You gave me a gift today." I swallowed. "You see, I was really young when my mother passed into the afterlife, and she was the one person who loved me unconditionally and without question." Gabriel's eyes softened as I spoke, sadness darkening the bright shade.

"I don't have many memories of her, but one of the things I do recall – is how she used to light up when getting me ready for the day." I chuckled wetly as the memory of her smile flashed in my mind. "She would always dress me in the prettiest dresses, even though she knew by the end of the day I would be running around in a pair of pants, covered in dirt.

"But she never cared. I also remember her gentle touch as she brushed my hair every dawn and how treasured and protected I felt in those moments." Tears dripped down my cheeks, the heavy weight of her loss threatening to drag me into a pit of despair. Losing my mother, had been the hardest moment of my life and everything had been unequivocally changed after.

"It been a long time since I remembered her, and you gave me that today. You reminded me for a short while what it felt like to be treasured again. That is worth more than any meal you could ever give me. So please, don't feel guilty for forgetting to take me to the mess hall." I pleaded, hating the idea of this kind male hurting because of me.

It seemed I couldn't help myself when it came to others pain.

I was always going on about protecting myself and being invulnerable to others – but at the first sign of someone else hurting, my walls crumbled, and I exposed my soft centre.

It was a wonder no one had shattered me yet.

My step-monster might have broken my body over and over again, but never my heart – because I had never exposed that to her. I was just lucky she didn't have a nice bone in her body otherwise she could have ruined me.

But watching the males die in our prison – that had broken me in many ways, and only the thought of finding their families and passing on their final moments held those broken pieces together.

"Shit, trouble." Gabriel croaked, yanking me into his arms. I released a short cry of fright, but before I could panic he wrapped himself around me, warming me from the outside, in. "My heart can't fucking take it. Thank you for sharing that with me, I know it couldn't have been easy, but I appreciate what you were trying to do. I'm glad I could give that to you, and I promise to do it again as many times as you need." He whispered fiercely, keeping his words for my ears only.

I heard the pain and gratitude in his voice, and hearing it made something click into place for me.

This male – he might ooze confidence, but it was a false bravado – a mask to hide the sensitive male underneath.

In a weird way, it made me trust him.

"Thank you." I whispered back, his promise giving me hope that I could experience those momentary memories of my mother again.

"You're welcome Sang. Now let's go and get you some food." Pulling away, I wiped my eyes and nodded.

Gabriel offered me one last soft smile, before turning around and grabbing my hand – forcing me to follow him from the room. I watched Victor trail behind us, a thoughtful if not guilty expression on his face and I tilted my head in confusion, wondering why he felt guilty.

That question stayed with me as Gabriel dragged me down long corridors, the sound of voices – predominantly male – growing louder the further we walked.