19 | Answer This For Me

"Don't let go, my body's sore and so is my soul." - Junior A, Zipper

~~~

I slept the remainder of my New Year's Day away. The next day, my phone was taken away as part of my grounding. I debated with my grandma saying that I needed to have the phone at school for safety reasons.

I went to school, mostly recovered from the New Year's Eve party. I was still learning how to come to terms with my drunken actions. I called people idiots all the time, but New Year's Eve was down right idiotic.

Now, I had to be around these idiots until 2:40.

I exited my car and shut the door. Shortly after, someone tugged on my backpack, pulling me back. I expected to see Brielle, but was met with Avery's beauty. Oh, God, could I sound any more stupid?

As a cluster of words attempted to leave my mouth, I began to sound like Courage the Cowardly Dog.

"I scared you, didn't I?" She asked.

"You can say that," I replied. "What are you doing here?"

"I can't be here?"

"Well, you're not a student here so, technically no."

"I was taking Brielle to school because my break doesn't end until tomorrow," she explained.

"How? Your school's public, right?"

"Yes, but there's been some issues with plumbing so, they extended it by one day to fix it."

"Ok, well, now you can get going," I said sheepishly. I ran a hand through my dark brown hair in a nervous move.

Now you can get going. What the fuck was I saying?

"So, what I'm hearing is you don't want to see me?" She asked, sounding jokingly offended. "I was kinda hoping I'd run across you here."

"Really, even after I said I could get you wet like water?"

"Yes, even after that. I'd like to settle what happened on New Year's."

I took a deep breath, preparing for the worst. "Ok, let's make it quick before I'm late for 1st hour."

"I'm sorry for leaving you on read twice. I was never mad at you, I was just busy. I tried to text you again this morning, but you didn't reply so, I thought that you were mad at me." Her already delicate face softened in worry and anticipation for my answer.

I wanted to caress her face and tell her to not dwell on her worry. But, I also knew that wouldn't help her.

"I don't think I could ever be mad at you, honestly," I said. Blood rushed to my cheeks, which I disliked for obvious reasons. It felt almost as embarrassing as getting a boner in front of a crush aka Avery.

"We'll see how long that lasts."

Not the response I expected, but okay.

"Seriously though, if anything you should be the one mad at me, not vice versa," I reiterated. "I mean I threw up on you, drunk texted you..."

"And you also kissed me," she mentioned suavely like she was saying something bland.

I felt flushed again and my heartbeat sped up. I hated showing my embarrassment in front of Avery, but I couldn't control it this time.

"I did what?" I asked after some time. Although I had asked this question many times since New Years, the words left an anchor in my stomach.

"You kissed me. Well, it was more of a smush, but I could see what you were trying to do."

"Now I'm really surprised that you're still talking to me."

"I don't know why. Adrian, you were shit-faced and you weren't acting like yourself. New Year's is excusable," she assured. She grabbed my arms and shook me slightly. "Woah, you got a little muscle there."

I barely had any muscle, but I guess that was good enough for Avery. I would've been lying if I said it hadn't boosted my ego a little.

I saw Brielle shut the trunk of Avery's car after fetching her athletic bag.

"Touchy touchy much, Ave?" She winked. She brushed past me to get to the entrance.

Avery quickly removed her hands from my arms. "Well, I'll get going since I dropped off my package, but I will see you on Saturday, okay?"

She started to walk back to her car, but I couldn't let her leave just yet. I abandoned my perfectionist, schedule-driven personality for a second.

What I was about to ask was scary, downright frightening, even. I tugged onto her hand to bring her back to me.

"Couldn't get enough of Avery, could you?" She smirked.

"Would you go out with me this weekend?" I asked. The words were fast and painful. Almost as painful as the wait time for her response.

"Yeah, I'll go."

Okay, so she said yes. OH MY GOD SHE SAID YES!

A/N

Oop, looks like Adrian and Avery are about to go out. I apologize for the short chapter.