7 | A Reunion

"What is this all for anyway?" - German Error Message, Murmuring

~~~

I went home a little later that day and returned to my grandma. It was about 4 or 5 in the evening, but something was already being prepared for dinner. I remembered it was Sunday so, a nice home-cooked meal was customary.

In previous years, my grandma used Sundays to stop my grandfather from "bitchin' about [her] goddamn food." She would cook what he would want instead of what I would want, something that she did during the week.

My grandma and I were never really that close, but she sure did make more of an effort than the man covered by dirt and grass.

"How was today's visit?" she asked, actually looking away from her pan with searing meat.

"It was fine," I answered. "Had a bit of a confrontation though."

This time, she completely turned around in place of a quick glance. Her eyebrows went up in shock. I never really had confrontations despite my honest remarks.

"At the old folks' home?" she questioned. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, but it was for good reason. This one old guy was in just being an ass to this girl because of her race. He called her the n-word and everything," I explained.

"Well, then you were in the right. It's a shame not everyone's seen the same," she commented before returning her attention to the pan. "D'you know the girl?"

"No, but I had seen her yesterday. She looked about my age so, I found it fitting to defend her."

"I'd hope you'd help anyone regardless of age or race," she said.

Well, of course. People are assholes to the ones that aren't ruined.

"So, what's for dinner?" I asked.

"Steaks and mashed potatoes. I've got an apple pie in the oven too."

At that moment, I knew someone was coming over to join us for dinner. Something told me it was gonna be Uncle Jack; the person missing from his brother's funeral.

"Who's coming?" I asked.

"Why do you think someone's joining us?"

"When do you ever cook steak and make apple pie?"

"December 9th, 2018," she recited. "Reminds me, your birthday is coming up!"

"Yep, the big 18," I said in a dull voice.

"Oh, don't be like that," she chastised. "When you're 18 you can vote and you can live on your own if you want."

"When I vote, it won't matter, when I live on my own, I'll just be broke and more broke, especially after I graduate college."

"That's why you major in something that's not stupid."

"Back in your day, I hear any major would've gotten a job, but now you'll waste a fortune on a piece of paper."

Once again, she turned away from the food cooking and looked at me. She walked up to me sitting at the table and I awaited her reaction.

"You better not be saying what I think you're saying," she rebuked, wagging the rubber spoon in her hand between words. I watched as the grease dripped from the end of the spoon to my jeans.

Ouch, that hurt.

"You're going to college! You've already been accepted to Frostburg and Towson, Adrian! There's no discussion to be had," she shouted.

She walked back to the oven. Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought.

"So, is nobody extra coming for dinner?" I questioned after realizing I hadn't squeezed an answer out of her.

"Jack and Rebecca," she answered. Jack had a falling out with most of the family, but Rebecca, my aunt who slapped me, was on good terms with him.

This was going to be interesting.

~~~

The doorbell rang and my grandma motioned for me to get the door. I sighed and opened the front door. I had never met my uncle, but I did know about him. From what I heard from my grandpa, he was a prick. From what I heard from my grandma, he was not too bad of a person, but his ego was a little high. He made about 250 grand per year based on what I heard at the funeral.

He could be someone's Splenda daddy. He wasn't rich enough to be a sugar daddy.

Once he was right in front of me, I could see why people didn't like him too much. He was smiling ear-to-ear when I met him and I knew right away that granddad's mean old spirit would not like him very much.

He shook my hand, taking me off guard. "Nice to meet you, young man. You must be Adrian."

I didn't say anything and chose to simply nod. My aunt looked at me with that scowl of hers. My uncle rolled his eyes. I assumed that she'd always been a bitch.

I invited both of them in and my uncle's charisma was turned on. He began complimenting my grandma in an almost flirtatious tone despite being fifteen years her junior. My grandma largely ignored him and began to set the table.

She ordered everyone to sit down at the table and we all held hands and said grace. Soon after, my grandma wasted no time getting to the topic of our meeting.

"So, you want the family to come back together?" she asked the question mostly directed toward my aunt.

"Yes, I just don't want them to ask me for money and just that. That's the reason why I haven't been so close to everyone. People only really come to me when it comes to giving them money. I don't mind it, but I don't want that to be the only reason why people want to talk to me," my uncle responded.

My grandma responded with her body language. Her arms were crossed. "So, money is the reason why you didn't go to my husband's funeral? The last time I checked, he never asked for money from you."

"That's another conversation for another day. All I'm asking is to integrate into the family without being seen as the man with the deep pockets. Like, my daughter dances on a competitive team and no one ever goes to her events."

"When's her next event? Maybe Adrian and I can go."

"Thursday, the 13th," he responded.

"We'll go," my grandma said almost as if she just wanted to get this over with.

Wait, that's my birthday. SHE FORGOT THAT WAS MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY.