35 Buying Time with Games

Zeus sat alone on his gold and white throne room, his fingers drumming noiselessly on the throne’s armchair as his thought about his position. No one had bothered with him for the past few days because almost everyone believed he was being unreasonable. In a way, they were correct. The sacrifices and offerings to the gods have been greatly reduced. Immortals had been clamoring after him to placate the mad goddess. Some minor gods have begun to sleep to the ground waiting for a worshipper to revive them. This year’s winter was fraught with death and it happened so quickly and severely after Demeter disappeared and swore vengeance.

He relished the chaos. Immortals in general, liked to disrupt the mundane from time to time. Mortals were frantically praying to him almost exclusively to solve their dilemma. And because of that the air in the room was practically crackling with lightning and excess energy. But it was not enough. For now, the mortals need to fear for their lives a little more.

It was quite the dilemma indeed. Usually, conflicts were resolved with one word from him. He could force Demeter to work the earth but that would break the goddess completely. He couldn’t particularly order Hades to give up his wife because Hera had bound Kore to him. At the same time, he really did not want to forcibly take the girl away from the dark king. That was just asking a repeat of the incident two centuries ago. Kore was Hades’ property now. He could, however, convince the girl to come back here of her own free will. After consulting with Athena and Artemis, he had gathered that the girl was quite naïve and compassionate.

He thought of his next move. For his plan to be successful, he needed to stir things a little more.

Zeus slowly inhaled, savoring the power coursing through his being – power tinged with desperation and fear from the will of millions – and then grinned wickedly. Everything was going so well for him.  

Suddenly a soft, ghostly hand emerged from the back rest of his throne and caressed his face lovingly, freezing him in place. “My son, what are you doing?” someone asked gently. The familiar and motherly voice sounded from behind him.

Zeus wanted to recoil from her touch but decided to lean further into her hand instead. “Hello, Mother Gaia,” he greeted softly.

Gaia’s spirit circled around the throne and materialized beside the golden god. The beautiful goddess draped in greens, blues and whites – the color of Earth – had a slight unkind smile on her face. Zeus had to make a conscious effort not to flinch or express any of the uneasiness he always felt around her and at the sight of her cold smile.

She reached for the golden strands of Zeus’ hair and began to run her hand through it in an almost affectionate gesture. “Explain yourself,” she ordered quietly, the edge in her voice clear.

“Do not fret, mother. I’m only playing a little. Your daughters will be back soon,” Zeus replied with one of his more charming smiles, his eyes gazing directly at her ‘day’ eye. Gaia’s eyes were the most unique pair of eyes amongst the Primordials. She had the two sides of planet earth – one under Helios’ light and the other under Erebus’ darkness – on her right and left eye. And they rotated simultaneously, changing as the night and day rolled over her domain. Her eyes illustrated the duality in Gaia’s personality. She was both benevolent and cruel. She both nourished and killed.

“Zeus,” Gaia warned, her smile fading while her hand stopped and settled on top of Zeus’ head. Her hand was a weight the younger god refrained from shaking off no matter how badly he wanted to.

“The fault does not lie with me,” he tried, bowing his head a little in slight submission. “It lies with Eros. Surely you understand this?”

The earth goddess tipped the younger god’s head up, her thumb rubbing his chin. “Eros is not the only one at fault and you know it,” she said with gentle and affectionate venom.