10 Punishment

Hades disappeared from the Olympian court via his helmet and stealthily returned to the Underworld. He didn't want to worry the denizens of his realm, so he thought he could sneak into his room unnoticed. But that was not meant to be. Cerberus had smelled the blood of his lord a long time ago, before Hades could even see the entrance to the Underworld, and began to howl, stomp, bark and generally create a ruckus. But instead of calling attention to his wounded lord, the dog called attention to itself.

Hades was a mess. He staggered, holding himself up against the walls of the entrance to the Underworld, breathing heavily, coughing and leaving a trail of blood behind him. One would think the fire from Zeus' bolt would cauterize the wound but no. The hole in his chest would not stop bleeding. Eventually he became too weak to sustain the power of invisibility.

When Charon saw his lord, he did what any serious, level-headed, loyal servant would in that situation…he screeched. He scrambled towards the king, screaming for help, and the most immediate responders were the Powers of Night and Darkness.

"Aidon!" Nyx, like any mother who had a son come home with a mortal wound, sprang into action and, with her wings, carried him quickly to his room. For the first time in her long, long life, a mortal feeling gripped her heart. She didn't know it was called fear at the time but she was absolutely mortified with these turn of events.

First, her future daughter in law was raped by Zeus, and then killed by Hera, and then, knowing her son like the back of her hand, she was sure Hades went up to confront Zeus only to come down bleeding from what seemed like a thunderbolt wound. She was furious. No. She was beyond furious. In fact there was no word for it…and even that was an understatement.

"Child what happened to you?!" Erebus asked with undisguised horror as he took him from his wife and laid him down on the bed. Nyx immediately tore her husband's himation to strips (she didn't have clothes so much as a thick mist) and wrapped them tightly around Hades' wound. The black cloth was soaked in golden ichor in ten minutes.

"My lord!" Hecate rushed in Hades' bedroom bringing a bottle of tonic with her. She poured it all over the wound and immediately it stopped bleeding, allowing his immortal abilities to take over and close the wound. Hypnos appeared and laid a hand on his liege's brow and Hades immediately went limp as a healing sleep took over. But not before he managed to utter deliriously that Hera was forgiven.

Nyx trembled with contained wrath. "This is Zeus' fault, I know it! He will pay for this and I will see to it! I will castrate him, disembowel him, drag his face all across the five rivers of Hades until he's unrecognizable, heal him, and then turn him over to Tartarus to put him under the bloodiest, most painful tortures he can concoct before I rip him to shreds!" (And this is why she is the mother of Nemesis, the goddess of retribution.)

"My love, please," Erebus whispered, rubbing Nyx's back comfortingly before he continued in a rather menacing voice, "I believe our Aidon must have something for him in mind. A punishment fit for the crime. Do not deny him this right."

"Oh I could just…! Whatever it is I abet it!" Nyx said as she bit her thumb and paced around the room angrily.

"Breathe, my love." Erebus said, following his own advice. He might seem the most level headed at the moment but his thoughts were so gruesome he would have given Tartarus a run for his money...or some ideas. (And this is why he is the father of Sophrosyne, the goddess of restraint.)

"Breathe? Breathe?! My son looked like he was just mangled by a beast and you want me to just breathe?!" She threw her hands up in the air in exasperation. "I want to give Zeus a piece of my mind!" She clenched her jaw and said through gritted teeth, "You know actually, I will!" before she disappeared in a swirl of dark mist.