16 Initiation

Demeter and Kore lived on their small hidden island happily. It was their small sanctuary where they can be as carefree as they want.

Every day, before Demeter goes to work, she educated her daughter from the art of plant making to the history of the gods. Kore was extremely intelligent as befitting of a goddess and soaked up the knowledge like a sponge. She was also extremely curious and inquisitive and Demeter gave her answers to all her questions except one – who her father was. As far as Demeter was concerned, Kore had no father.

One day, after intense concentration and practice, Kore made a beautiful, carefully crafted fire-red daisy bloom for the first time all on her own; and proudly presented the blossom to her mother, wearing a sweet smile that could outshine the beauty of any flower any earth goddess can produce. Every time Kore smiled with so much happiness, Demeter was filled with so much love her heart could explode. She carefully preserved that first flower in amber and made a necklace out of it, which she never took off.

When it’s time for Demeter to perform her duties, she would leave her little toddler under the care of a few, carefully selected nymphs. And then after making the harvest prosperous, she would immediately return to her daughter’s side. She never dawdled or attended the worship the mortals offered to her anymore because all her free time was spent on one person only.

Mother and daughter would play games together and spend most of the time in each other’s company. They would play hide and seek, tag, dance and sing, and when they tire of playing, make flower crowns for each other. The island would always echo with peals of their laughter.

And then at the end of each day, Demeter would tell her bed time stories, some were of the past events and some were make believe. And finally, before Kore shuts her eyes and succumb to Hypnos’ magic, Demeter would sing the lullaby before kissing her goodnight. They always slept together, with Kore cradled in her mother’s arms.

888

One day, Kore was chasing a butterfly with her mother strolling right behind her when an unwanted presence made itself known.

“How long did you think you could hide her, Demeter?”

Demeter immediately picked her daughter up and warily searched for the speaker.

“Mama? Who’s the big bird?” Kore said pointing to the god perched on a tree branch above them.

“Hermes? You frightened me!” Demeter sighed in relief, clutching her chest to slow her speeding heart.  

“Alright, first of all, I’m not a big bird,” the messenger god somersaulted and landed perfectly upright in front of them. Kore clapped her hands and clamored for an encore. He bowed dramatically saying, “My name is Hermes, Little miss.”

“Ar-mes!” Kore giggled. “Mama! He’s the fly god!”

He looked really offended. “I’m no god of flies. Demeter what have you been teaching her?”

“She meant that you’re the only one who can fly really fast,” Demeter smiled.  

Hermes smiled in return, “Ah that I can.”

“What are you doing here?” she asked innocuously.

“Zeus thought his daughter was way overdue for an initiation ceremony,” the messenger explained as he played with his caduceus. Demeter’s countenance took an immediate change as she held her daughter tighter. Kore looked at her mother with confusion. It was her first time seeing such a fierce expression on her mother’s face.

“Mama?”

“We’re not going,” she uttered through gritted teeth.

“You must. It’s a direct order. Everyone’s already been invited. If you don’t come, you incur the wrath of the king,” he replied simply, putting his hands behind his back.