11 Insurrection

“Well, well, well… what do we have here?” Tartarus said from behind, leaning casually against the cave wall by the gaping hole Typhon had created in his escape. “I was in my room, disciplining my maids when the tremors started. I come out surprised to see that you have found and released my son. Have you decided to be a little bad and naughty after all Aidon?”

Hades turned and looked at Tartarus with his cold, empty eyes and aged countenance. “I plan to be more than a little bad and naughty this time. I find this a suitable punishment for Zeus.”

Tartarus clapped slowly. “Very inspiring. I have to say this is personally to my liking. You do realize though that Typhon is not the type to single out Zeus. My son tends to decimate all including Zeus. Not that I particularly favor one over the other. But that’s the reason why I’m proud of him and why Uranus wanted him imprisoned in the first place.”

Hades smirked darkly. “I had hoped that would happen. Come, Tartarus,” he ordered. “Join me and watch the chaos that I author.” 

Tartarus stared at Hades blatantly awestricken. He had a sudden vision, a moment of inspiration. “Don’t move,” he said. Hades raised a curious eyebrow. “Don’t change your facial expression!” Hades had the seeds of a perfect sadist. How come he never saw it before? Since Nyx and Erebus already had a hand in molding him, should he give it a shot too? He’ll make him into the perfect king – feared, revered, undisputed, respected and saluted by everyone including him.

Hades felt confused but obediently followed the request as Tartarus circled him, eyeing him appreciatively.

“What is it?” Hades asked, following Tartarus with his eyes.

“You looked very kingly just now, so superior and cold, it actually sent shivers down my spine. But to answer your question, I do love chaos and punishments. Alright Your Highness, we shall see what you’ve done now. But you have to supply the food while we watch, alright?”

Hades shrugged. “I’ll serve pomegranates.”

“I do not care much for pomegranates. Serve grapes.”

“But they are my favorite…”

“Let me tell you a secret. Never tell anyone your likes and dislikes. It could be used against you.”

“Do you plan to hold a pomegranate hostage and use it against me any time soon?” Hades snorted. “Because if you do, I can very well make a rule that will deny you all access to grapes.”

For the first time in his life, Tartarus was threatened – threatened with his favorite grapes of all things. He didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. His king really had a lot of potential. “I have to say, you learn fast Aidon” he sighed exasperatedly, trying – and failing – to act indifferent. “But you would choose such a sickening fruit as your favorite. Fine, I’ll bring my own grapes then.”

“But Underworld grapes are so bitter.”

“And what’s wrong with that? Did you expect me to force a grape down your throat? Because if you did, then I would rather not disappoint.”

“…” Hades silently turned and walked away.

Tartarus ran after him worriedly. “Aidon! I was kidding! Don’t ban grapes from Tartarus!”

888

Hades and Tartarus sat relaxed on lounge chaises beside the large pool – the very same pool Hades meant as a gift for Leuce – which currently showed the on goings of the Upperworld. It was almost dawn in the Upperworld when Typhon emerged from a large hole beneath the ground. He came from the Ionian Sea, from the west side of Greece, and proceeded to travel east, wreaking havoc until he reached Mt. Olympus.