Doomsday (14/02/19)

All Rights Reserved © 2019

I'm dead-shocker right?

You could probably create a list longer than the Great Wall itself if you name ever story that had started with this very line. For me, it was the most accurate way of explaining my situation.

I am dead, a zombie to be exact. So as my rotten skin slowly slides of my body like a bar of soap on a bathroom tile and my foul oder fills the nostrils of those still living, I am doomed to spend my everlasting days fighting off the hunger I had for those who were luckier than me.

Unless of course I get my head caved in.

It has been three years since the first outbreak and eight months since I had turned. Memories of hunting, killing the very kind I was now apart of let me realise how much the hysteria had controlled me. You know all that philosophical crap about to understand the other side, you need to try living in their shoes for a day.

Yeah. Prime example, right here.

It was strange to be reminiscing all of this with a hole in my stomach, looking up at the clear blue sky. The culprits shouting orders at each other as they marched off into some run down pickup trucks looking for the next town to raid. Mine, Yendale West, was so far west that honestly it's a wonder they would even try and search the place. It didn't matter though. They came, they saw, they conquered.

Yet missed the part where you were supposed to shoot us in the head.

I don't know man, I think they missed that part on the How to guide for Zombie Apocalypses. The bodies near me groaned once the roar of an engine had faded in the distance and one by one rose from their crumpled positions.

"They have shit aim", Andy groaned, rubbing his decaying shoulder that peaked through his distressed flannel.

He was the former neighbour's son that was the biggest pain to deal with because of his tendency to blast rock music from his garage at 1am.

"Maybe it's our lucky day", I chuckled, clutching my stomach as I rose to stand.

I looked around at the other seven casualties that all seemed to be hit somewhere in the torso. Huh, perhaps they do have shit aim. Drowsy eyes searched the crowd, realising that no lives had been lost from this ambush and smiled. It was not something we could do often.

Waves of hunger shot through the thing you'd call a brain. A growl erupted from my throat and the image of breaking open live flesh flashed through my mind. I wasn't keen on human meat, more of a pest and bird gal myself, not that I haven't tried it. I did and it sucked, possibly because the victim's diet had most likely contained sweets and sodas, and resulting in a very rancid aftertaste.

Stay healthy kids. Eat your greens, trust me its good for you and for us.

I shuffled my way past Mr Rock Lord who was distracted by a lone bird chirping on a tree branch and into my favourite shop on the block, Shining Lanterns.

Its a home lighting store, so sue me.

The old ring of a bell alerted the dust mites of my presence as I waddled through the threshold. Broken glass littered the carpet floors and it crunched beneath my feet. Making my way to the back of the shop, my safe haven was a bloodied couch right next to the cash register. I looked it over with pleaded expression. The splatter of blood created the illusion of another dead zombie when I rested so any drifters left me alone and in peace, and thats about it. Oh and there's a blanket, very cosy.

I moved with the attention of sitting down when the clutch of a gun was sounded from my right. I looked over at the young boy who now gripped a handgun in his shaky palms, his expression frightful.