Beyond Stars

The skeleton sighed as he walked along the lunar surface. He reached up with a skeletal hand and drew his fingers through a trail of stardust above him. He was content for the moment. No resets, no Runs... Just him and the stars. He stopped at the edge of the planet, sitting down. His fluff on his coat kept him warm. He reached up and swirled his hand through the stardust before sending it outwards. Slowly, the stardust formed words.

HEY, ARE YOU THERE?

Outer waited quietly for a response as the stardust faded. He watched the sky. Finally, after a few moments, he let out a breath of relief as red dust suddenly floated up from underneath him. They formed words as well.

ALWAYS. IS EVERYTHING ALRIGHT, OUTER?

The dust dispersed and Outer gave a smile. He'd never met the human called Scooter. He could only talk to her like this. He slowly swirled his hand and sent out more stardust in words.

I'M FINE, IT'S JUST BEEN A WHILE. WHERE ARE YOU NOW?

Outer chuckled as his words fizzled. He loved hearing about Scooter's adventures. He'd quickly come to realize that she was able to travel through all the AU's. He'd first met her when he was the sole survivor of his Genocide Run. He'd sent out a cry for anyone and she'd answered. Now, he communicated with her whenever he could. It was practically the only thing that kept him sane. And it seemed to be the same for her.

He waited and the red dust swirled up again.

UNDERTALE.

Immediately, Outer's eyes widened. He had thought she didn't want to go back there. He furrowed his brow and sent out another message.

ISN'T THAT WHERE YOU DIED?! WHY ARE YOU GOING BACK?!

Outer sent the message out urgently. He waited tensely for a response, nervous for his human friend. He watched as the red dust funneled up again.

I AM IN HIDING. THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE THEY CANNOT FIND ME.

Outer was wide-eyed. Who would have chased Scooter into hiding?! He gulped shakily. He slowly sent out another message.

WHO???

Oh. He cringed. He hadn't meant to have that many question marks. Did it make him sound too alarmed? He tucked his hands on his lap, waiting for an answer. The red dust swirled up again.

INK AND ERROR. THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP, BUT THEY ARE NOT HELPFUL. I AM AVOIDING THEM.

Ink AND Error? They were working together? Outer blinked. He did understand. Error just... wasn't a good person to try to help someone. And Ink could be a bit... overbearing sometimes. He completely understood and chuckled to himself a little. He sighed and sent out another swirl of letters.

I SEE. THEY CAN BOTH BE A BIT MUCH...

Outer watched as his message dispelled into flecks of light. It was calming for him to watch. A small amount of red dust swirled up to form a single word.

INDEED.

Outer blinked. He definitely didn't want the conversation to end yet. He smiled and sent out another message.

WHEN WILL YOU VISIT OUTERTALE?

He was nervous as he sent the message. Would he sound too desperate? Oh no. He locked his skeletal fingers together nervously, afraid he was pushing for her to come too much. His anxiousness only became three times as bad when Scooter didn't respond right away. Finally, he perked up as he saw red dust.